Break In Chinese YD100 no power

Status
Not open for further replies.

MinimumVK

Local time
1:18 PM
Hello! So I bought a chinese YD100 kit from a german seller. Anyways i installed it onto my frame and tried to start it... I spend about 30 minutes trying to start it. Was checking if it was getting fuel, if the plug was wet all those things. It was backfiring like crazy at first. After about 30 minutes it started but would not idle. After about 15 more minutes of trying i got it to idle but the throttle response was non-existent. Again after about 15 more minutes it started responding to my throttle inputs. Tried to ride it and it bogs down when i get it going. I let it run for 15 minutes and rode it on a flat road for about 30 minutes but when i came to a hill i wanted to die so i had to pedal with it. Is it normal that it has no power at all while in break in. Before putting the engine on the frame i checked all of the bolts and such and i found out that it had no gasket between the cylinder and the case (it has a 1 piece cylinder and head). I made my own out of gasket paper. There are no obvious air leaks. The needle pin is set on the 3rd groove from the bottom. Should i try tweaking with the carb first? Thanks in advance!

It sounds like it may be a fueling issue of some kind. Fresh motors can be hard to start the first couple of times, but they should still run like a normal engine.

The only other thing I can think is an ignition issue. The magnet being installed backwards, the gap between the magnet and pickups for the coil are wonky, or you are using the spark plug it came with, which are notorious for being bad right out of the box.

It sounds like it may be a fueling issue of some kind. Fresh motors can be hard to start the first couple of times, but they should still run like a normal engine.

The only other thing I can think is an ignition issue. The magnet being installed backwards, the gap between the magnet and pickups for the coil are wonky, or you are using the spark plug it came with, which are notorious for being bad right out of the box.
Hi! Hmmm interesting info... How would i adjust the gap between the magneto and the magnet? Should the gap be the same top and bottom and do i use a business card to set the gap? I know that the gap is smaller on the bottom then on the top.

Using a business card will work, and it should be the same. As for the engine trouble the bottom end could be flooded. I don't know any easy way to empty the bottom end though

Today i did some more troubleshooting on my engine. I re-adjusted the magneto which made things a bit better. Then i played with the carb needle adjustment and it ran the best on the middle groove. The bike idles fine but cant pick up revs. I sprayef starting fluid around the case gasket (where the 2 halfs meet) and it dies right away. Also the revs drop when i spray starting fluid on my home made cylinder gasket. All of the bolts are tight. Should i take it apart and seal it up with high temperature rtv sealent paste?

Another thing that i forgot to mention is with the clutch pulled in it idles fine. When i give it gas it picks up revs but sounds like a lawnmower and is not smooth. I would guess this all points to the air leak?

Yup, that sounds like an air leak to me. I wouldn't suggest using starring fluid, it is way to easy to ever due. You should use some carb clean, it shouldn't die with that.

Yup, that sounds like an air leak to me. I wouldn't suggest using starring fluid, it is way to easy to over due. You should use some carb clean, it shouldn't die with that.
Plain old water 💧 not a volatile solution, won't burn your shack down. If your engine ingest a bit, it will soon evaporate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back