Clutch help 80CC!! New to forum

Discussion in 'Transmission / Drivetrain' started by ajohns, Mar 21, 2011.

1. ajohns

ajohns New Member

Just finished my first build with my son. Everything went well except that the clutch does not seem to dissengage. I have tried everything and the back tire is locked up and won't free up. Oviously a clutch problem. What needs to be done to get this thing to free up? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Dave C

Dave C Member

Hi there and welcome.

I had the same problem when I started out. Take the cover off the clutch. Remove the star nut locking screw. Using a pair of needle nose pliers or use a screwdriver and hammer to advance the star nut 1 locking position clockwise. Try it then. If that doesn't work move it another notch. It should only take 1-3 notches to get it to work right.

One bad thing is that sometimes you end up with a substantial pre-load on the clutch pin, bearing and actuator. Premature wear can make these parts fail early. I myself need to find a thread that explains the clutch setup better.:helmet:

3. ajohns

ajohns New Member

Thank you sir!

One more question. The clutch arm should be facing straight towards the rear tire and then adjust the cable to hold in that position? When I do that the arm does not want to go any further. By adjusting the flower nut will this fix this problem?

4. Dave C

Dave C Member

Ok, I'm in the process of readjusting my clutch after rebuilding. I'll let you know when it's set up right :)