CNC mount issues: JB Weld?

mikdavi84

Local time
3:08 PM
Hey all,

New here, doing my first build. I ordered a CNC mount for a gasbike frame and neglected to do my research on motor bolt spacing, so I've got an issue. The holes on the mount seem to be 6mm, while the motors threaded holes seem to be 8mm.

Furthermore, the motors spacing is 2 inches while the mounts spacing is 1.5".

My solution to this would be to drill out one of the mount holes to 8mm and use that screw to secure the mount on one side of the motor, while also securing the other side of the mount PERMANENTLY by scoring the underside and JB welding the mount to the motor itself. This would allow me to split the case in the future if necessary while (hopefully) providing a secure mounting solution, and not marring the aesthetics of the bike or mount.

How stupid is this idea? I considered drilling/tapping new holes, but I can't find a way to line everything up without being too close to an edge.
image1.JPG
image2.JPG

Attachments

• image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 140
  • image4.JPG
    image4.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 110
Are you suggesting that you want to essentially secure the front of the engine to the bike with a layer of jb weld?

Not really the best idea I've heard of, why not just send the mount back and just buy or manufacture a proper one?

Are you suggesting that you want to essentially secure the front of the engine to the bike with a layer of jb weld?

Not really the best idea I've heard of, why not just send the mount back and just buy or manufacture a proper one?

Negative....Want to secure the mount to the engine block. Basically modify it to where its secured via bolt on one half of the bottom end, and permanently attached via epoxy on the other half.

As for why not, its because to the best of my knowledge, they don't make a specific mount for this. Its specific to the frame.

item-1-gb_large.jpg

Make a adapter plate. Mount the plate to your motor, mount the cnc mount to the adapter plate. You may even be able to use the one that came with your kit. If not you can make one. Just use smaller holes at the top.

Won't work. The pre-drilled holes on the mount line up with the existing holes on the engine (which are both too large and spaced too far apart). Furthermore, the mount itself secures AROUND the mounting point on the engine, meaning I don't have wiggle room unless I mutilate the mount even more than I already plan on doing.

Won't work. The pre-drilled holes on the mount line up with the existing holes on the engine (which are both too large and spaced too far apart). Furthermore, the mount itself secures AROUND the mounting point on the engine, meaning I don't have wiggle room unless I mutilate the mount even more than I already plan on doing.
This is a example. There is no pre determined size, shape, or hole location on a adapter plate other than those existing on the components being adapted for. You make it to adapt to the needs of your build. The use of one in your case would be to ofset the mount to the engine. Plate mounts to engine through lower holes. CNC mount mounts to plate through upper holes.

Last edited:
I'm doubting the epoxy

How about new bolt holes coming in from the top and bottom of the built in mount?

Normally I wouldn't think twice about it but I have my doubts about how well the bottom is cast

This is a example. There is no pre determined size shape or hole location on a adapter plate. You make it to adapt to the needs of your build. The use of one in your case would be to ofset the mount to the engine. Plate mounts to engine through lower holes. CNC mount mounts to plate through upper holes.
Yeah that was my original idea, I just can't figure out how to get the holes to not interfere with each other. The mount wraps around the cast in mount and the holes are close enough that the bolts would be in each other's way.

Back