Colorado 47 Model H

Looks like it can be straightened. There is a small spacer [washer] between the pork-chop & hub to keep the parts from contacting the larger spokes. This spacer is a MUST if using larger spokes.

I always use Locktite on all bolts, nuts, etc as I once lost the bolt that connects the pork-chop to the fork clip [had similar results, except it broke the front axle].

Have fun,

It's hard to say what exactly happened here, but I can tell you that if you don't figure it out it may happen again! The problem often with working on anything old like this is you never really know what may have been done to something previously. I've read that often parts like this were dis-gaurded by kids after pads wore out or whatever. Recently I found out on my own project that the chain that I had shortened was now too short when I change rear rims! Same exact make hub, but different size sprocket.
I know a 87 year old bike mechanic who has a shop in his basement and can take apart a bendix or new departure coaster brake hub blindfolded and put it back together. I'm going to go over there in the next day or 2 for something and I will see if he has any info on this occurrence. He's still pretty sharp so I may find out something for you. Good chance he may know what caused this. Chris

Thanks lillback44! Would love to hear what he says.

Quenton echoes what I've been told, it looks fixable (also glad i'm not the only one). I'm still on the lookout for a spare and agree that if i don't get this under control, it'll happen again.

OK Dirt,I will let you know what I find out, but I would like to know if what you have for spacing (if any) in there? Both Quenton and I suspect that that is the problem. I'd look for sign that the Pork chop came into contact with a spoke. There's a lot of force there and could easily twist it.
Chris

Dirt Nerd,
I spoke with my old bike mechanic friend today and he told me pretty much the same thing. He said that there was a step down washer in there for spacing. He didn't have any to show me so I don't know exactly what he was describing but he said that regular washers are fine. Said he never saw one twisted like that, but said you must have caught a spoke.
It's too bad I didn't know this guy a few years ago because he sold off most of his old stuff. I've picked up a few things from him like the rear rack in my Schwinn build ll thread. Told me he got that rack in 1951 when he bought out a dealer here in Ft Wayne. It's in perfect shape, just wish he hadn't had it powder coated.
Hope the info was helpful, Chris

To my brain trust:

took the wheel off finally. I'm taking the pork chop to a guy to straighten.

What i'm miffed at is i think my wheel was strung up wrong by my LBS. I compared my original tear-down pics. I think the mishap bent/notched/damaged the spokes enough that i'm probably going to have them relaced. You can tell from the pics the spokes rubbed the inside of the chop.

IMG_1779.jpg

IMG_1780.jpg

IMG_1781.jpg

there was a washer in there - not the stepped washer like suggested.

Be careful as there are 2 different ways to lace the wheel.

Vintage wheels DON'T have the spokes touching each other, and the spokes are a different length.

Vintage 26" wheels use 10-5/8" spokes, whereas the new edition wheels the spokes are 10 1/4"

There is also a cross 3 and a cross 4 pattern, make sure the wheels are laced correct.

The fact that the spokes are rubbing the pork-chop indicates the lack of the correct spacer between the pork chop and hub.

Have fun,

..... whereas the new edition wheels the spokes are 10 1/4"

There is also a cross 3 and a cross 4 pattern, make sure the wheels are laced correct.

Quenton, on the new edition Whizzer- are the spoke lengths the same (10.25") on both front and rear wheels (drum front/band rear)?

Thanks

Vintage wheels DON'T have the spokes touching each other, and the spokes are a different length.

Vintage 26" wheels use 10-5/8" spokes, whereas the new edition wheels the spokes are 10 1/4"

When you say the spokes are different length, can you add color to that? Also, from my pics, is this laced wrong?

My original chop did not straighten out well. I found a replacement in Oklahoma. The seller is including the hat washer.

What i really wish existed was an exploded view of the drum brake and all it's parts. Seems this is something that doesn't exist.

Back