Colorado 47 Model H

Way to go Dirt! Looks like she's doing 30! I noticed in your pics that you had some type of roller on your workbench? Is that a fender roller? I've been looking for something like that. The only one I found was on ebay for about $375.

Nah, that's either the vice or grinder. :)

Now all that's left is some paint touch-up, and a good detailing. The chain guard has a blister from the gas leak, then scuffed it with the crank. There's not a lot of room down there.

Made the inaugural ride down the street yesterday. I took the fuel bowl apart and then back together. The shutoff is stiff but works. Then I tightened down that brass elbo fitting on the carb one more time. No leaks this morning!

When I put my weight on the bike, acceleration killed the motor. Adjusted the main jet a bit helped. Need to toy with the idle screw according to the service manual to help respond to take off. I'll do that this afternoon.

No video yet. Getting my wits about me once puttering down the path. Soon tho.

Last edited:
Anyone have a good conditioned pork chop? As i neared my house after a few mile run, i braked, and this happened. Made me sick to my stomach.

brake.jpg

I'm going to see a recommended metal shop to figure out if it's possible to straighten it out. I'd like to have a spare.

Anyone have a diagram for this brake exploded out? I want to make sure i have it together right.

i was perty close to stopping using both the coaster and the fore brake. My guess is the upper clip on the fork came loose during the ride. by braking, the pad hit the hub which grabbed a bit more, and pulled the pork chop forward. The clip spun around almost 180.

I'll keep this thread posted.

BTW, the ride was amazing. the sand on the road from winter caused slight concern when rolling a corner. Whoa! but overall, getting confidence on this bike more and more.

Dirt Nerd,
I'd be interested to see pics of the inside of your hub( as it was ) if you have any? I curious of what you had in there for spacing? I'm really wondering what happened here? There could have been not enough space between the porkchop (plate) and the hub itself. I wonder if the porkchop somehow caught the hub or even a spoke? Spacing is very tight in this area, I improvised my set up because my brake was incomplete when I got it, but I put a couple of washers inside to hold that porkchop off the hub. Is there any damage to the spokes? Did that axle nut come loose at all, fall off or did you remove it?
My brake is untested and I'm hoping to avoid a similar occurrence and maybe help you from this happening again. I can't really see the clip in your pic, but was curious if you put on some type of flimsy clip? Original clips that hold that brake arm are very heavy duty. I wonder if a combination of too tight or loose porkchop and a flimsy clip caused this to happen?
Chris

I took the axle nut off myself. spacing wise - it's how i took it apart, however, i'm thinking you're on to something. I did rebuild the hub w/ a new axle. The hub was rechromed, Could this have added a thickness to the hub that caused the failure?

Spokes are ok, i'll have them checked by my LBC who built the wheels.

The clip is the original heavy clip.

I'm hoping to take it apart one night this week to get a real good look.

Back