Confused in Michigan ?

I live in Michigan,and obtained a moped sticker for my bike. However I was told that the "vehicle" is pedal assist and as such does not need the moped permit. I am hoping that when a cop sees the sticker I will be left alone.

definition of moped
mo·ped: A lightweight motorized bicycle that can be pedaled as well as driven by a low-powered gasoline engine

a motorbike that can be pedaled or driven by a low-powered

a pedal-cycle which has a small motor

The earliest mopeds were bicycles with a helper motor in various locations, for example on top of the front wheel (friction drive)

I hope this clears up thing these bikes need to be registered acording to Michigan Law

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I was able to tell, MI has no [current] laws that are specific to bicycles with a motor attached. In '77 the legislature repealed a portion of a law from the '40s dealing with operation of bicycles with a motor attached. So, it appears that the legal definition of our machines there is as a moped.

Ref the legislation listing. The section dealing with MI begins (on the Website listings,) at page 15

Interestingly, however, under Michigan statute 257. 216(k), it states
257.216(k) said:
A certificate of title need not be obtained for a moped.

However, from 257.217b, it states
257.217b said:
A moped and a low-speed vehicle shall have permanently affixed to their frame a manufacturer's identification number.

Section 257.218, dealing with 'specially constructed, reconstructed, or foreign vehicles states that "(1) If a vehicle to be registered is a specially constructed, reconstructed, or foreign vehicle, that fact shall be stated in the application..."

and, 257.801e states
257.801e said:
(1) When a moped required to be registered under this act is sold by a retailer to a general purchaser, the certificate of registration shall be obtained in the name of the purchaser by the retailer. In other cases, the certificate of registration shall be obtained by the purchaser. The application shall be signed by the purchaser of the moped and shall be accompanied by a fee of $15.00. Upon receipt of the application in approved form, the secretary of state shall enter the application upon the secretary of state's records and issue to the applicant a certificate of registration containing the decal for the moped, the name and address of the owner, and other information the secretary of state considers necessary. A moped shall not be required to be insured in the manner specified for motor vehicles under chapter 31 of Act No. 218 of the Public Acts of 1956, as amended, being sections 500.3101 to 500.3179 of the Michigan Compiled Laws. The certificate of registration shall be pocket size, shall accompany the vehicle, shall be legible, and shall be made available for inspection upon demand by a law enforcement officer.

So, from what I can tell, you do not need a certificate of title for a 'moped' in MI, the 'moped' would need a permanent 'manufacturer's (your!) Identification Number, (and the bike's SN should work,) you would need to apply for registration (including $15 for three years), and your application needs to state that the 'moped' is "specially constructed."

According to the definition of Moped, BTW, the bike does not even need to have operable peddles. (but, if you ever plan to drive it in other states, you might need them, although, you might not, if reciprocity applies...)

Last edited:
I find it funny that you guys are talking about laws, here in bay city I flagged down a cop to ask him if he would see what my top speed was when I rode by. He asked if it was a moped and I replied that its a bike he said "OK I don't have a problem with it". He did clock me going 25 on a stock engine kit.... So I guess you have to get lucky and get a nice cop... Just my 2cents

Police

It would really be a great tool for law inforcement to use mb's.
Here in fort worth they have bike patrol's, but with a mb they really could be all over the place fast!!!!!

I know, old thread, but I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what to do with mine in regards to registration..

When I first built it, I took the original bill of sale for both the engine and the bike its on to the S.O.S. They looked at me confused as to what it was, then handed be the form for a home-built motorcycle. They told me that the serial number of the bike frame DID NOT qualify as a vin number. Now as the bike does not have lights, and is a 66cc model, it will not pass any sort of inspection to be a moped.

Despite that fact, I called the local police to find out what I should do and possibly arrange an inspection. They told me not to worry about it, its not a moped and does not need to be registered as long as I'm not breaking any laws and have a drivers license and helmet. I later got stopped in the next city over for not having a tag on my "motorcycle", I told him what I was told by the police here, and he let me go. I was freaked out tho, I mean, he could have given me a pretty hefty ticket and impounded the bike.

I called the SOS in Lansing and was told the same thing about it not needing to be registered since they don't recognize them as motorcycles or mopeds. But I almost don't like riding it now because I don't have a piece of paper with a law specifically stating anything one way or another should I get stopped again. There are some real arse**** cops around here.

Should I pursue registering it again? To those who have registered theirs in MI, how did you go about doing so? I mean what did you use for year/make/VIN? I'm familiar w/ registering a moped here in MI, I own one currently.

Last edited by a moderator:
See my post on putting a white wire light on your bike. After you do so, you'll notice the argument that "you heard the motor running because I was trying to be safe", Sir. You need to pedal while ridding. If you could establish disability, it furthers your argument on needing a motor but if stopped, NEVER admit to using it. They've got cameras these days and ridding a normal 10-speed is grounds for DUI!

Back