Crimped Fuel Line

FrizzleFried

Local time
11:46 PM
OK guys... Phantom 85 runs nice and smooth while cool... aside from a low idle..

...when it warms up... I am getting what I figure is an 'air leak' type behavior. When I let off the throttle... the RPM's stay high for a few seconds then drop...

...but I've been unable to find an air leak.

Would a semi-crimped fuel line cause such issues? I noticed my fuel line has a harsh bend right after the nipple of the fuel filter because of where the new larger tank ended up sitting.

I am doubting this issue the issue frankly as ... why would it only show up while warm?

Figured i'd ask.

Sounds like the smallest of air leaks that shows itself once the motor heats up an everything expands.

A crimped fuel line could cause momentary lean issues while the engine is running with a more open throttle if it crimps the line enough to drop the bowl level too low because it can't keep up. Not a bad idea to find a way to un-kink the line if you can. This would potentially cause it to go lean while under throttle most of all, if that were the case.

I suspect it might be at the head gasket... as I do have some oil seepage ...

... I'm currently tightening to 140 inch/lbs. I know 144 inch/lbs is recommended... however if I needed a little extra... what would the recommended MAXIMUM torque be? Is the 144 in/lbs. that number or do I have a little to play with (could I, for instance, try to up it to 150 inch/lbs.)... that might be all I need.

He means the base gasket. Some people call them head gaskets when dealing with 1pc. jugs.

As for tightening the head down. Mine is torqued to 15ft-lbs (180in/lb). With all upgraded hardware.

Could you also take a pic of the fuel line with the crimp so we can see it too???
Sure... I don't mind documenting my failures. ;)

You can also sort of see the seepage at the head as well...

CRIMPED1.jpg

He means the base gasket. Some people call them head gaskets when dealing with 1pc. jugs.

As for tightening the head down. Mine is torqued to 15ft-lbs (180in/lb). With all upgraded hardware.
Also, hoping you got rid of those acorn nuts and changed them out to regular nuts for tightening down the jug...The acorn nuts tend to bottom out on the top of the studs before being able to actually torque down the jug itself which has resulted im many jug leaks for many people.

Also, hoping you got rid of those acorn nuts and changed them out to regular nuts for tightening down the jug...The acorn nuts tend to bottom out on the top of the studs before being able to actually torque down the jug itself which has resulted im many jug leaks for many people.
No Acorns on the jug...

Back