Dang it! This sounds expensive!

If I order a new cylinder and piston, is that going to be v3
YEP...All of their new cylinder kits with pistons are all of the V-3 series, they sold out all of their old stock V-2s a couple of months ago.

Also, don't always go by the pics, they are usually generic and not updated up to the minute

You can call them direct by phone to order, I always do so, in case I need any questions I may have answered at that time.

(406) 586-5970 If it's Molly that answers the phone, just tell her that you know Robb in Alamogordo, NM, from this forum.

Even though you got the open box special, it may not hurt to tell them what happened to the top end and how little miles you put on it etc...Who knows, they might even at least give you a discount, ya never know unless you try.

If you also need new gaskets:

This is the needle bearing if you question if yours has any metal filings in it, wrist pin should be ok to just wipe it down and relube it by hand with some 2 cycle oil when you put it back together again.

As you can see with the existing prices, you did not save yourself anything with the "open box" specials as well as no 6 month warranty applying to it either.

You can call them direct by phone to order, I always do so, in case I need any questions I may have answered at that time.

(406) 586-5970 If it's Molly that answers the phone, just tell her that you know Robb in Alamogordo, NM, from this forum.

Even though you got the open box special, it may not hurt to tell them what happened to the top end and how little miles you put on it etc...Who knows, they might even at least give you a discount, ya never know unless you try.

If you also need new gaskets:

This is the needle bearing if you question if yours has any metal filings in it, wrist pin should be ok to just wipe it down and relube it by hand with some 2 cycle oit when you put it back together again.

As you can see with the existing prices, you did not save yourself anything with the "open box" specials as well as no 6 month warranty applying to it either.
I know I won’t save anything! It’ll equal out to about the same amount as if I had just bought a new kit! Oh well live and learn! Plus I have an excuse to putts around the garage and fix my bike!!

I also noticed one of the holes for the cylinder studs is stripped. I can’t get the stud tight enough into the base. Can I use red loctight or something to keep it tight.

Think this could have anything to do with the ring breaking?

Yes It could have if that cylinder was in any way even slightly movable because of that stud, while the motor was running.

Can I use red loctight or something to keep it tight.
NO...You will probably need to helicoil it.

If I order a new cylinder and piston, is that going to be v3

how can you tell? It looks the same as the add on their website?

Are there any other options to fixing besides phantom top end?
I suggest you just order the new jug and use the old as a paper weight
I know I won’t save anything! It’ll equal out to about the same amount as if I had just bought a new kit! Oh well live and learn! Plus I have an excuse to putts around the garage and fix my bike!!

I also noticed one of the holes for the cylinder studs is stripped. I can’t get the stud tight enough into the base. Can I use red loctight or something to keep it tight.

Use some heli coil to redo that stud. You will need a drill bit and tap too.

Just in case you didn't catch it, you should also replace the piston with the V3

Bummer that it trashed on you right out of the box.

People say to check the end gap on the rings. I have never done it on one of these little engines, but next time I will. I can't comment on what the gap should be but if it is too tight it will cause ring failure.

I don't think that is what has caused your cylinder disaster. Looks like a hanger in the casting. Rather than take a dremel to it, just use a piece of emery cloth on your finger and ever so carefully clean the port edges of any possible burrs and hangers. Make absolutely sure you have cleaned all debris out before you reassemble.

Day late and a dollar short but next time.

Bummer that it trashed on you right out of the box.

People say to check the end gap on the rings. I have never done it on one of these little engines, but next time I will. I can't comment on what the gap should be but if it is too tight it will cause ring failure.

I don't think that is what has caused your cylinder disaster. Looks like a hanger in the casting. Rather than take a dremel to it, just use a piece of emery cloth on your finger and ever so carefully clean the port edges of any possible burrs and hangers. Make absolutely sure you have cleaned all debris out before you reassemble.

Day late and a dollar short but next time.
I'd just look up ring gap for a MS460.

Back