Dealing with stupid curious people when riding

Discussion in 'Travelling, Commuting & Safety' started by ZnsaneRyder, Jan 30, 2009.

1. ZnsaneRyder

ZnsaneRyder Member

Dealing with stupid people when riding

How many of you here end up dealing with stupid people when riding?

***EDIT*** to clear this up, NORMAL curiosity is great, I'm referring to the dunces. I enjoy enthusiastic curiosity, as I would be curious myself ****

Like when you stop somewhere, someone just HAS to approach you just ask you a bunch of uneducated questions, and to top it off, they try to re-engineer your bike as if they are some kind of expert on what YOU have built. :dunce:

Or the dumbazz HATER that acts and appears nice to you, just to ask mean questions, and press their views on you, like "that has a gas engine, that can't be legal" even if you plainly mention the legality in your state, and they STILL insist you shouldn't be riding it. :ack2:

Do you just be passively nice to these retards, or do you rudely tell them to stop wasting your time and go away? :confused:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009

2. Youngbird

Youngbird Member

"F&$k OFF" usually lets them know where youre coming from....LOL.

3. MotorMac

MotorMac Member

curious people

Whats wrong with people being curious and asking questions?
    Sounds to me like you are the one that has a social problem if you can,t be nice to people and chat with them about your hobby.
    You try being in their shoes, supposed you have never seen or heard of motorized bikes wouldn,t you be curiously asking questions and giving your opinions?
    Try being positive and friendly.
    Funny how Znsane calls everyone a retard or stupid or dumbazz for being curious about his bike? And maybe you are not?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  4. BoltsMissing

BoltsMissing Active Member

One of my favourite topics, goes under one of those categories where 100 excuses are printed on T-Shirts,

We may have to have a similar T-Shirt with the Top 100 "dumb questions and comments" made by wannabe MB'rs.

"How much does it cost" ?
    It's either too cheap or to costly

"How fast does it go"
    It's either to fast or too slow

"How many MPG"
    It's either not possible or we are genoises in our right for solving the worlds oil crisis, but they won't share in the effort

"What size engine"
    According to the manufacturer, it's a 200 Watt engine.
    (that gets them all the time)

"Can you pedal at the same time"
    No, the pedals are there to climb on the bike and to protect the engine incase a cager tries to run us off the road.

"How long have these been around" ?
    Since the Harley Davidson's first test bikes, or from around 1900's

"How do you start it"
    It has a clutch

"How do you turn it off"
    It has a switch

"Did you build it yourself"
    (depends on who is asking)
    Yes
    or
    No

"Is it a 2 stroke"
    Yes
    "Does that mean you have to mix the oil with the fuel" ?
    Sometimes
    "Is it a 4 stroke" ?
    No
    "So it's a 2 stroke ?
    Emm, Yea,

5. Youngbird

Youngbird Member

Im not real enthused about being cheerful anf friendly to those wanting to harass me and tell me what I should/shouldnt-can/cant do....so....see my previous post!

6. augidog

augidog Banned

i happily answer all the same old questions...

but when i hear "you should..." i just say "what YOU should do is build yer own however you want."

sometimes i get a laugh, sometimes not...oh, well...

7. graucho

graucho Active Member

Im lucky. I always look crabby so no one approaches me. J/K
    I just friendly tell those interested they should visit MB.c and all their quesions will be answered.
    They usualy say cool, and thanks.

For those who are evil and in my face (only happened twice) I used Youngbirds approach.

8. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

I appreciate those that are really interested. For the others, I have one word - AirZound.

9. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

How about a hockey helmet, an orange plastic safety vest and some bugeye goggles and keep repeating "Hi, want to be my friend?" A little drooling helps.

10. ZnsaneRyder

ZnsaneRyder Member

Dude, chill out, don't make it all personal. Re-read the topic without emotion, it's not about everyday normal curious people, and I don't call "everyone" stupid. The other posters in this thread understood without getting all negative.

I enjoy when people show genuine interest in my bike!

It's the people that go "you should" this or that, or they are just prying for your info to get some dirt on you. Or the ones that bother you when you are busy shopping, or whatever, just to ask stupid questions that are OBVIOUS just by looking at it. I had a dummy today ask if the mouthwash on my trailer was urine!! I told him, what person in their right mind carries urine on a bicycle??? SEE what I mean.

It's not about me here, I'm asking anyone here with any MB what kind of encounters of the stupid kind have they run into and what's the best responses. F#$k off works too, but I'm interested in more civil solutions.

11. ZnsaneRyder

ZnsaneRyder Member

HAHAHAA!!!!! ROFL!!

Now THATS an idea!!! I gotta go get a hockey mask for when I ride now! :cool2:

12. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

What about if an attractive chick in skimpy clothing starts asking questions....i bet everyone would have all the time in the world to talk bikes then. :tt1:

13. ZnsaneRyder

ZnsaneRyder Member

Usually the chicas shout out their car windows at me flirting! I've never had one ask me ignorant questions! :tt1:

14. ZnsaneRyder

ZnsaneRyder Member

EXACTLY! Augidog nailed it!!!

You got my laugh! LOL! :jester:

15. ZnsaneRyder

ZnsaneRyder Member

Can't blame ya there! I'm just too nice, and I should use that more often.

I had to call the Police on someone Monday, for nearly hitting me when I was in the bike lane, and they cut in front of me to go to a store, then threatening to fight me because I laid on my car horn long enough to pizz em off. They said I'm on a bicycle, so it doesn't matter if he almost hit me!!!! And he then said I shouldn't be riding it, and I told them they OBVIOUSLY don't know the laws, and he felt dumb and walked away. I got his tag number, and went to a phone to report him to the cops.

16. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

yes -- I also get asked many questions very often

almost always willing to answer every question asked
    in most part or parts mountainman enjoys talking with people

we have a bicycle shop a few miles away who sells motor bike motors now
    some of these one's who have stopped me to ask questions
    I have referred also to the shop -- possible sale ??

actually I did have a slight off the wall moment at that bicycle shop one day
    one of their parts distributors was making small talk with me outside
    I was just standing over my bicycle cross bar and talking with him
    the guy starts adjusting my front brake ???
    I am thinking to myself -- what's wrong with this guy ??
    so as he's talking about other things -- he also kind of mentions
    that my brake needs adjustment
    I didn't say a thing -- although part of me wanted to !!!
    I like to leave my front disk brake adjusted very loose
    after the guy left -- I loosened it back up..

noticing that sometimes as we get a little or maybe a lot older
    those THINGS said or done to us that we used to want to act on so fast
    up top the old mountain today are just not that big of a deal

ride that thing

17. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

I guess I've been lucky; only a couple of negative encounters and nothing as stupid as
    "urine in a bottle".

I have found (once riding and in other situations) that "You've got better things to worry about" is fairly effective. Loudness and anger dependent on circumstances.

Seems to snap some of them out of stupid mode.

18. ...ladies

...ladies New Member

Haha the re-engineered thing pretty much hit the nail on the head for me. I mean ofcourse they all tell me its illegal. I just reply.. well i was thinking about getting a license for it.. but.. i wanted to save my 15 bucks.. ha. Idk how many times people come up to me and act like they first built the thing.
    "So the chain turns the sprocket on the rear wheel to make it go"
    "...yes.."
    "O i'v been looking into one of these but the only kits i can find are over 500 dollars"
    "Yup.. there pretty expensive.."
    The coolest person to ever ask me about it was honestly a cop. He didn't ask dumb questions. He did ask me if i had a license for it, i replied no, he's like ya you should probably get one of those, atleast wear a helmet and we won't pull you over unless your riding it like an idiot. We laughed. I got a helmet. No license :)

19. ...ladies

...ladies New Member

Hahaha thats why i put pegs on mine ;) take her back to my mom's place. ha. Face it, you're going to have to be pretty smooth to look cool on a motorized bike.. lol

20. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

Most of the time people in my area are asking questions in a positive light. I haven't had anyone tell me it's illegal, or that I shouldn't be riding that thing on the roads. But then again, I live in the heart of Amish country, so unusual vehicles on the roads are actually the norm in this neck of the woods.
    The most questions I get are when I ride the Whizzer, and they are the usual: "Do they still make these?", "What kind of gas mileage does it get?" and "How much do they cost and where can I find one?" I can answer those all day long.
    But the funniest question I ever had asked was when I was riding my '46 Columbia. It has the brick-red prewar style tires, the chrome springer and poopoo pipe and just has very much a prewar look. A cop stopped me and asked if it was an antique Harley! :laugh3: