Does the way your bike looks matter?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by themotorbikeguy, May 30, 2010.

?

Do you care how your bike looks?

1. **** No, Its not about looks its about SPEED

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  2. YES, A Crappy looking bike sucks Major B*ll$

18 vote(s)
    72.0%
  1. Do looks matter to you guys?

2. james65

james65 Member

Bike

A big YES. The same goes for performance and dependability.

3. lucas

lucas Member

Need a poll option for comfort. i put that first on list for me. then durability for those monster tire eating potholes out there.i put those before looks.

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  4. I really want to say yes but my bike looks like **** and works great so i guess it doesnt matter. If you think it looks fine and it works good thats most important

5. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

Yes it should look good , you built it.. take a little pride in what your doing...if it looks rough after 1 or ,2 years of riding..well that's the way it goes, as long as it is as mechanically as good as you can keep it being

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  6. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

Nope, not in the least. I'm a ratrodder. If the used bike I buy is red, it'll always be red. Wear and tear? Yep, that's how it'll be until I swap in new parts. If the parts are painted or shiny, cool!

Speed, dependability, comfort and safety is all I want.

I buy quality used bikes, but they gotta be at bargain prices!:jester:

7. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

Ummm.....I hope not.......*looking at bikes and cringing*

8. Neon

Neon Member

Looks don't matter to me much as long as it's comfortable, runs good, and is reliable. Just like most people above. Plus a bike that looks bad seems to deter thieves somewhat. A rusty, dull and dingy bike keeps the crows away.

9. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

Not really THAT much. A decent effort is fine. I would never belittle someone for some scratched paint or something. Reliability is the key (not speed). Safety too. My test bike isn't all that pretty, but it's safe and reliable. I have seen some fancy looking bikes that hardly would start.

10. augidog

augidog Banned

yes.

i like how my bike looks.

candidly, another would have to squint to appreciate her beauty as i...but let's keep in mind i didn't build her for another, i built her for me :cool:

11. Dobroknow

Dobroknow New Member

Rat Rod Bikes..

i like the vintage look of the bikes that some start with , but your install has to be clean and not messy looking . i build these bike for Re-Sale so it has to LOOK reliable . I solder & wrap wiring . hide what you can . trim fenders . no rattles or leaks .
    Check out my current build in the picture gallery at the top.
    " Micargi Rover "

12. thanks to all that replied
    my bikes look bad but my fastest which looks horrible
    tops out at almost 44-45 mph
    and it is reliable it hasnt broke down on me in almost a year

13. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

My main concern in a MB is reliability, looks without reliability is nice but won't get you from point "A" to point "B". Like I said before, this is a toy. I buy used bikes (clean them up the best we can) for myself and build them to be trouble free. I don't care about speed. But you can have looks and reliability at the same time.

14. Hawaii_Ed

Hawaii_Ed Member

Well, not show looks, but certainly quality. I have many wear marks on the bike, but I want it to look polished, and well put together.

15. Tinker1980

Tinker1980 Guest

I have long adhered to the belief that it doesn't matter how it looks, it simply has to work correctly. It needs to be reliable first, easy to repair second, fast third.

16. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

yes looks are important to me. I like to customize stuff, make my own parts when i can, and have a nice shiney paint job. cleanly routed wiring and placememnt of the electrical components is also imprtant. I don't like my bike (or anything else that i build) to look cluttered, or look like it has too much stuff on it.
    when i take my car to a car show, i also bring my bike. I think it would look really strange having a really nice looking custom car, and a crappy looking bike together. speed is important, but only to a certain point, i mean how fast do you want to go on a bicycle anyway? 28-30 mph is fine for me.
    dependability is also a plus, but i don't ride my bike every day, and i don't rely on it for my main mode of transportation.
    i think that the way something looks that YOU built, says a lot about who you are, and what kind of work you are capable of doing. this can lead to others asking you for help, or for you to build them a bike...which could lead to extra $$ in your pocket for more bike parts.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  17. blankbox7

blankbox7 Member

Reliability and quality comes first, then looks. I like bikes that look dirty and rode alot, but a bike that looks totally abused is not what I'm looking for. My bike has the reliability and quality I need, but I would certainly like it to look good as well :)

18. loquin

loquin Active Member

IMO, comfort & reliability come first, by a long shot. That being said, I try to keep the bike clean - it's easier to maintain, that way.

And, I want a bicycle that looks like a bicycle, not a motorcycle wannabe. So, I prefer rack mounts.

19. Safety and reliability come first. I try to make my bikes look good to me. As to the opinions of others, meh.

20. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Have to say yes, and then yes again.

The way your bike looks represents your professionalism on making a first class piece of equipment.
    I go so far as to apply white paint to 7 links of my shift kit chain and final drive chain to the rear cassette; making the mechanical operation look more interesting as the eye is able to follow the chains around not only the rear derailleur but also my shift kit chain tensioner.

Fabian

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010