Tires DOT approved tires

when shopping & comparing tires...

i've learned that sometimes "kevlar" merely means a foldable aramid bead, and nothing else.

Can anyone link to a thread about tire strips or PM if the Walmart Slime tire liners work ok?

I need this machine to get to work and a tire flat might hold me up enough to be late.

I am not sure anyone has seen this yet but a company out of the UK has had DOT approved tires made for there custom motorized bicycle...

http://www.biketooinc.com/YouFeelLikeYouAreOnABikeDailyTimes20091115.pdf

Maybe one of the vendors could start a discussion too see if they can be made available in the USA, or it least find out about the R&D and costs,manufacturer etc....

I think there is a market for these tires where fellow bikers like myself are trying to make our bikes street legal.

Actually that bike is being shopped out of Maryland. Looks like a nice effort overall and too bad they are not getting any love from the investment community.

I started a post a few days ago about a motored bike specific tire that a manufacturer wants to make and it will be going the DOT route after production of samples also. It is not rocket science as they make DOT tires every day for lots of different types of vehicles. I believe that rims have to be submitted at the same time for testing also.

I wish these guys the best, the more mab's out there the better.

I am still not convinced it is legally possible to create "DOT legal" bicycle tires at all.

From what I have read
starting here, about tire requirements-
http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2009/octqtr/pdf/49cfr571.119.pdf

and extending into the next section, which deals with rim requirements-
http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2009/octqtr/pdf/49cfr571.120.pdf

...a DOT-legal tire is only DOT-legal when mounted on a DOT-legal rim, and a DOT-legal rim has to be designed to handle the vehicle's gross weight rating, which is specified in the vehicle's certification label-

S5.1.2
Except in the case of a vehicle which has a speed attainable in 3.2 kilometers
of 80 kilometers per hour or less, the sum of the maximum load ratings of the tires fitted to an axle shall be not less than the gross axle weight rating (GAWR) of the axle system as specified on the vehicle’s certification label required by 49 CFR part 567. ...​

Seems to me like any DOT-rated bicycle tire would need to be rated for a DOT-rated rim, that was itself rated for some classification of motor vehicles, as defined under DOT rules--and bicycles aren't motor vehicles under DOT rules.

I am not a lawyer though.

--------

I also realize that you guys looking for DOT-legal bicycle tires haven't been told you need DOT-legal rims--but the fact is, you cannot get tires DOT-certified without DOT-rated rims to get them certified on.

Here is the parent index of that page, if you want to poke around yourself-
http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_09/49cfr571_09.html

--------

I would think that bicycle tires could pass the actual tire tests, from what I've read of them in those links. So as far as that part of it goes--I doubt you'd be guaranteed to get any stronger of a bicycle tire if it was DOT-rated or not.
~

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe we could just make a stamp and put DOT approved on there,(but i didnt say that), thats what happens with most motorcycle helmets as that side of the business is rampent with fakes and lack of oversight.......

As far as i am concerned these are only precautions to keep the police of our backs and not so much for safety, even the cheapo 15 kelvar tires at walmart can stand up to alot of abuse and if you keep your wheel maintained, spokes tight, lined, bearings lubed, then i have total trust in them cruising along at 25 mph....all day long.

Last edited:
Just go to ebay type in DOT stickers and see what pops up,

you get my drift, this is crazy you can basically buy anything stick a fancy sticker on there and presto DOT approved, you think the average cop would have a glue (" but officer theres the dot sticker right on it") i think not !!!!

I think Doug C gets it. We are not looking for more regulation on bicycles. (Its a freaking bicycle!) But we are looking for good durable tires.

I think the heavy cheap steel beaded steel belted C-rib tires and multi-purpose mountain bike tires are the answer. Wheelchair tires in some cases are pretty **** tough, and usually cheap! But they come in odd sizes (24" * x/x'' and 26" * x/x'')

Electric bicycle (ebike) tires are probably pretty good and made for heavy loads.

"Wong, bring more Made In USA Stickers!"

Just go to ebay type in DOT stickers and see what pops up,

you get my drift, this is crazy you can basically buy anything stick a fancy sticker on there and presto DOT approved, you think the average cop would have a glue (" but officer theres the dot sticker right on it") i think not !!!!

Attachments

• chan more made in USA stickers.jpg
    chan more made in USA stickers.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 299
Thanks for those links DougC. I have been searching for days for them. I knew the rim was connected to the tire but I think that DH double wall 35mm rims should do the trick there?

But in the end you are correct in that why go looking for more regulation? At this point there is no need for DOT compliance for motorized bicycles but in some states and countries it makes alot of sense to move in to the moped class which does require it. And because I don't know of any mopeds that use 26" rubber that means to get a 26" tire/rim for moped use it will need to be compliant.

The big thing is to get folks out there on the safest equipment possible, or at least have the option available, at a reasonable price. And the moped class tires will still fit motorized bicycles and provide the necessary safety. So it seems like a win win situation to me.

Back