Tires DOT approved tires

I'm not against the existence of DOT-rated bicycle tires, I'd just find it odd that they would be possible at all.

And even at that--as far as the Biketoo example goes,,,,,,,, what I wonder here is why didn't the guy just use narrow motorcycle rims and tires. They're already DOT-rated, cost maybe $100 a set and there wouldn't have been that much more of a weight penalty. The bike needs a custom frame to mount the engine/drive setup anyway, so there's not much more hassle involved there. Because of the motor and drive parts the bike's already going to weigh as much as a boat anchor, the feel is not going to be "ruined" by adding a few more pounds. Nobody would have picked it to ride in the Tour de France anyway.

People around here who want DOT-legal bicycle tires want them because they're trying to build boardtrack-style motorized bikes; that Biketoo doesn't have any particular "look" that smaller wheels and tires would have spoiled. There's already a wide selection of on-road and off-road DOT-rated motorcycle tires, easily available through a network of existing motorcycle parts shops and online retailers already......
:unsure:
?
~

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you may be missing my point. It isn't about the rating, it is about getting the best tire possible at the best price out to the most amount of folks that can use it on their current bikes, which means a 26" tire and there are no motorcycle or moped tires available that meet this need. Is it cheaper to buy a set of DOT rated bike tires at $20 a piece or to do what you suggest?

And if someone wants to jump to the moped class so that they can legally ride their bike around then having the DOT rating is a hurdle they don't have to jump. You don't have to subscribe to it but there are many that will benefit from this in the long term. If there is a long term.

In African America, I think motor bikes have a long future. Prices are never going down on fuel, the roads are not going to get less crowded, and politics are not going to get less ugly. Bikes will remain, but hopefully they will move up the totem pole a little as time wears on.

I think you may be missing my point. It isn't about the rating, it is about getting the best tire possible at the best price out to the most amount of folks that can use it on their current bikes, which means a 26" tire and there are no motorcycle or moped tires available that meet this need. Is it cheaper to buy a set of DOT rated bike tires at $20 a piece or to do what you suggest?...
I would bet that DOT-rated bicycle tires would cost a lot more than $20 each.

To estimate that, we'd need to know how much getting them certified cost, and the guy at biketoo seems to be the only one who would know. Has anyone emailed him and asked that question yet?

------

I don't think anyone would pay extra for a DOT-rating on bicycle tires unless they had to--and most places that prohibit motorized bicycles, don't do it because of a lack of DOT-rated tires. They do it mostly because with no drivers license or registration requirement, there's no way to keep little kids from riding (and crashing) on them. The drivers license requirement adds in a bunch of other troubles.

The market for these things is just not that big, and I would bet that it would cost tens of thousands of dollars just to get them certified (I have read that getting a new motorcycle engine part EPA certified usually costs in the area of $150K-$200K).
~

Im all for DOT rated tires, as i am building to DOT specs, this will allow me to get a real vin number assigned to it. In MA, all you need is all your docs and have a police officer sign on and the RMV will give you a state assigned VIN

The EPA is just another greedy bureaucracy. I hope they leave bicycle kits alone. I ride one of these things to escape all the legal drama. If I have to go through it, I will just buy a regular motorcycle for a few grand and be done with it.

The EPA is just another greedy bureaucracy. I hope they leave bicycle kits alone. I ride one of these things to escape all the legal drama. If I have to go through it, I will just buy a regular motorcycle for a few grand and be done with it.

You might as well do that because technically all motors for on road use must be EPA Phase 2/C.A.R.B Tier II compliant for on road use, not off road use
EPA.jpg.
So unless you are running a Pur-Fire Tanaka, the only two stroke commonly used that meets these requirements, then you are non compliant.

However, at this time legal drama is at a minimum with regards to motored bikes because they are so small a user group. But if and when they do become more popular the bearuorats will smell the cheese and come to nibble away at the liberties we now enjoy. But when they do someone will come up with a compliancy sticker to sell on ebay :devilish:

You might as well do that because technically all motors for on road use must be EPA Phase 2/C.A.R.B Tier II compliant for on road use, not off road use
So unless you are running a Pur-Fire Tanaka, the only two stroke commonly used that meets these requirements, then you are non compliant. ....
CARB is a California-thing only though. Other US states just use the regular EPA classifications.

---------

2-strokes are a disappearing breed, either way.
The EPA regulates all engines imported into the USA, and oil-burning engines are being phased out legislatively. It may be some years yet but that writing is already on the wall.
~

CARB is a California-thing only though. Other US states just use the regular EPA classifications.

That is why I said EPA Phase II. I lumped it together with the California Air Resource Board Tier II requirements because California is a huge potential market for mab's and yes they are the most aggressive in regards to air pollution, both making and trying to prevent, of any of our states. Sorry if it confused you.

Thanks for the heads up on the Mitsu engines Loquin. That makes 4 to choose from.

Back