E-zip trail-z convert to gas. i'm doing one!

No I haven't contacted that seller. I think I'm gonna build my own triple tree suspension forks since I have the clamps and a spare bent set of forks " the bars that slide inside the shock portion are bent"

I'm convincing myself to relace the rear wheel and upgrade to 12g spokes, even more $$$ and scary " its my first time fully lacing, ive done multiple replacements and truings " but I want a reliable ride. I bought the gebe HD upgrade for my other custom after snapping numerous 14g spokes on 3 different occasions. This engine is much larger and more powerful, though now I'm driving off the hub and not half the spokes on one side of the wheel. I still think that the increase in power could cause problems with the stock 14g spokes. I would just buy the staton HD wheel but that will cost more than my engine new! So that's not an option for me I'm too broke for that :(

I got you lol its all about what you can push your finances to do for you I suppose. I'm personally more comfortable with a smaller engine and less speed lol but that's just me. I will drop them a line and see what they can do for me.

Badly so far. Three e-mails in as many days and still no response. Are we sure they are still in business?

Did the conversion a few years ago, worked very well. Drilled holes in the electric motor mount to align with the 5:1 tuff little reverse rotation gear box. Did some grinding to top of hole that tranny sprocket shaft goes through to move gear box a bit higher, don`t remember why.

Bolted a China Girl rear sprocket to the electric 22 tooth freewheel sprocket with 1/4" bolts. The large sprocket holes aligned with the 22 tooth sprocket notches perfectly. Have a 1/2" pitch 12 tooth on the gear box. Running a 49cc 2 stroke engine.

Starts out with 1 turn of pedal assist, cruise at 35 mph with 180 lb rider. A good friend rides it 6 miles to work most days. The system has been trouble free, sprockets must be aligned correctly. Titan 49cc 4 stroke friction drive gets better gas mileage. Recently he did carb adjustments, has not said if it helped, will check with him. Have a small gas tank mounted on bottom of motor.

The Three used electric bikes bought off CL, all have the (vertical) motor mounts, which position engine above the axle. Bought 3 new additional motor mounts from Currie for $9.85 each, they lay horizontal and position the motor behind the axle. Would do easy mod to have engine above axle for the support strut and road clearance. Don`t remember if pictures were posted to this forum.

With the $9.85 plus shipping Currie electric motor mount it is easy to make most bicycles into rear axle mount. A China Girl rag mount wheel sprocket could be used for "Cheap &
Easy".

Bought the 3 Currie electrics for $50. ea on CL, they have much stronger wheels and nice road tires also left side threads and the sprocket, also HD frame if your back can handle a Hard Tail Frame.

Also used the 5:1 gear box on my shifter bike with the 49cc Titan 4 stroke mounted on the top bar close to the head tube. Use the rear cassette gears like a dirt bike tranny = fun fun.

Currently building a Stretch Cruiser bike with Briggs 5 Hp flat head (11 inches tall for in-frame clearance). Bought several HD Whizzer wheels off eBay for the nice smooth belt drive. Sold my Whizzer, too big for it.

Ron
PS; Hello to my friends on here, been building Swing Blade Sawmills and Chain Saw lumber mills, both run on 20 foot track.

Last edited:
I would love to have some more specs on your conversion treewk. IE what motor you used. How you did it if any spacing was needed to allign sprockets. I'm removing the 22t from the hub and installing a 44t in an 8mm pitch so I have the option of bolting the sprocket on either side of the flanged freewheel. Some thin washers will be for fine tuning. The trans has an 11t, I'm fairly certain I've got the gearing figured out. I'd love to see some pics of the drilled mount plates. Though I can see it in my head I'd like a visual representation. I'm going to leave the horizontal plate but I want to mount the trans verticaly, for engine-road clearance. I know filling the trans will be more difficult but the 5:1 I have doesnt have a fill or drain hole? I was just going to drill and tap the holes where I need them. But there are areas cast into it for the fill and drain to go.

Well I started investigating the front end parts I have and found an issue. The triple tree clamps are about .5" narrower than the shocks are :( so I need to have some new strut bars made with a slight bend in each one. I really want shocks on this bike even if I can't do disk brakes yet. Ill try and post a pic of the front end parts I have to mod. q54e.jpg

Back