Engine dies when clutched, no idle.

Yep, you were right on with that one, mates. I had used a decent amount of electrical tape to try and hold the cheap wire connections together better, but it just didn't stand up to the Arizona heat. The adhesive melted and one of the connections slipped out. It was contacting enough to give me spark as long as the rear wheel was still forcing the engine to turn. The fact that I ran the clutch cable, next to these wires probably didn't help.
I should have figured it was, a) something stupid, and b) something electrical.
I'm thinking of cutting the stock connections off, stripping the wires back a tad, and using nice automotive ones. Pretty easy modification and will probably hold up much, much better.
May you show some pictures or a video of what you did because I have the same problem and I’m stumped

You have to trace all your wires from the mag back to the CDI, and ignition switch, look for worn and frayed wires and replace or repair as needed.
The best repair is to solder the wires together, place a short length of heat shrink tubing over the wire first. Then just heat and repeat with other wires.
This should be done from the get go, but in the excitement of getting something new this is usually skipped.

May you show some pictures or a video of what you did because I have the same problem and I’m stumped

hello i am facing an almost same problem
i start peddling release the clutch lever engine starts as soon as i press the clutch lever again the engine dies
i have adjusted the clutch pads
and have the idle screw almost all the way in
and everytime i even slightly squeez the clutch engine instatnly dies
my first build

So, for some reason, when I grab the clutch to idle, the engine dies instantly. Like, from full spin to completely dead in about a second... Even if I keep the throttle open. Sometimes it will stay running if I open the throttle wide when clutching, but not usually.
What strikes me as odd is that it otherwise runs fine. Same acceleration, speed, power, and noise as usual. Until I grab that clutch.

Engine is a 66cc HT with the stock carby and a rag mount drive.

halp!

jd
If you didn't find what was wrong with it it could very well be that your clutch isn't set at the proper tension as well as that cable slipping out. Another thing to try is to adjust the idle screw on the carb to get a nice idle...not to high, just a few notes above before its about to die out when you loosen. Try tightening it all the way in, the reversing it 4.5 times or more so where it feels nice.

Back