Excelsior V-Twin DO YOU WANT ONE?

I would love to have a bike like this one to go to school!
Would you?
Its a excelsior V-twin from 1914 and i bet you that you need to pedel it really fast to get it started with does 2 'fatty' pistons :cry:
Here is a video of a similar bike.Its the second one with the wild exhausts(its an Indian but looks the same)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRO5UtYxFjM

It would be nice if there was a kit like the chineses like this one!
have fun!
:D

Attachments

• 1914-excelsior.jpg
    1914-excelsior.jpg
    629.1 KB · Views: 2,214
A two stroke V twin won't run well on a common crank case.

Especially with a shared crank pin.

Each cylinder needs its own sealed crankcase for it to transfer the charge.

Google "two stroke V twins" and have a read.

forget the v twin-keep it simple first time!

I think IS BETTER TO START SIMPLE
Im just goin to make a single cylinder 50cc(all hand build) with all the best quality stuff.Going to get some hight quality ball bearing for the botton end and needle for the main and small end on the rod(my local engenering shop has french, german and british quality bearings so im going to get some more info about then this week)
sand casting is easy and i bet you that i can make a better one than the cheapy chineses :)
Ive got plenty of aluminium from cylinder heads(got at least 3 big ones)
And i have plenty of time!(but not much noney :( )

Hi G-Superior

Those Meteor pistons are good quality items.

I've just finished a top end rebuild on a Dolmar PS-9010 chainsaw and it runs perfectly with good power and excellent compression.

When i enquired about the price of a genuine Dolmar piston and rings, i was told the price was $245
After some searching around i came across the meteor brand which was being sold as replacement parts for common chainsaws.
The company was "Northwoods Saw" in America and they said the pistons are made in Italy., which must be better than Chinese garbage.

The price was $37 American and the delivery to Australia was $10 at slow shipping rate (10 days or longer).

It worked out to around $55 Australian (after currency conversion) to have the piston delivered to my door.
Contrast that figure with $245 Australian for a genuine Dolmar piston.
The quality of the casting is not quite as good as the Dolmar but it is very close and the chainsaw engine runs flawlessly.

Fabian

Last edited:
im probably going to start a thread on 'wild on the streets`or in 'general discussions` to get some ideas of how would a perfect 2 stroke motorized bike engine should look and perform(maybe there is more people that want a 5, 6 or 7 hp engine than people that want a full racer 20hp 50cc because they would just twist and bent frames and wheels )
Ideas would be really good and i know that this forun is got plenty of it! :D
I think i have a big chance of making a little 50cc motorized bike engine for less than 150$ which out runs the performance, reliability and looks of a chinese HT engine!
you will probably be surprized how much money you need to make a 2 stroke engine :eek:
Take care
G

Last edited by a moderator:
Your wish is granted, Fabian

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-oLV9DW_n8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I67FI5ABQxE&feature=related
Ok, its too many CC for some states, but it sure sounds good. (Maytag washing machine engine on beach cruiser)

PS this is a two stroke engine. I am not sure, but I think it has alternating strokes instead of synchronized piston strokes. (in effect, 1, 2, 1, 2, not 1&2, 1&2)

Now that's what we need: a replica small capacity V-twin engine for our motored bikes

Last edited:
maytag crankcases?

Thanks for the idea Fabian :unsure:
Does anyone know if the maytag twin as shared crankcase? and when does it fire each piston?
I was just wondering if it is I can just duplicate it in small model(2x 25cc) in angle
it wont be that hard and sure it would look good

Loved the Maytag boxer twin engine.

I would say it works the same way my Echo CST 610 EVL chainsaw works. Both pistons at top dead centred, collectively drawing in air/fuel mixture into the crankcase and both pistons at bottom dead centre, forcing mixture through the transfer ports.

This is the same method used on small glow plug boxer twin R/C engines.

It would be an interesting engineering challenge to make a boxer twin work in a motorised bicycle application, but it would be a very smooth and refined engine; something that non of us have ever experienced using Chinese single cylinder engines.

Fabian

the only problem that i see in a twin boxer or V is that i will be to wide so the pedal crank would have to be modified :cry: but overall it would be extremely smoth with a tone of torque and low rpm

Back