Finding Performance By Accident

I'm happy with this lead...its an excellent WIRE lead and my bike starts easier and at lower speed. :D
Plug lead.JPG

This is an interesting thread. On the wire thing, it is interesting to note that although the notion that a solid copper wire would conduct electricity better, it also by ohm's law lowers voltage. A hotter spark will come from a good carbon wire. A note, this is only true to a point, if the resistance is too high it will fail. If you can find a high quality carbon wire it should give the best results. As to the CDI being interchangeable, If you can find the correct wire sequence it should work. CDI Capacitor Discharge Ignition. This is how it works. As the rotor goes out of phase with the coil the field collapses, the capacitor then triggers the transistor leg that fires the coil, just like a set of points, Simple. Plugs - every Yamaha came with NGK plugs, I think that is good advise. What do you think? Have fun, Dave

I always thought carbon wires came about so we can hear our radio's.
Here's my test. Take a lantern battery and a light with one wire. Connect the light to a carbon core wire and note how bright it gets. Now do the same with a wire core wire and you usually find the bulb to be a lot brighter.

CDI Capacitor Discharge Ignition. This is how it works. As the rotor goes out of phase with the coil the field collapses, the capacitor then triggers the transistor leg that fires the coil, just like a set of points, Simple. Plugs - every Yamaha came with NGK plugs, I think that is good advise. What do you think? Have fun, Dave
Doh! I always wondered how that worked, and it's sooo simple... it's even in the name. Wow.

It looks to me that the plug wire is sealed into the CDI ignition box. Is this correct?
I don't want to start twisting the wire around and perhaps break the connection inside. It sounds just right for what I need though. Thanks

It's just a reverse screw in there,Red. Twist your wire counter clockwise and you'll see it.
7mm wire screws in there perfectly.
Sounds like with your three year old 6 thousand mile engine,switching the wire would make a WORLD of difference.
I got mine at Napa. It's steel core not copper but still metal. Under 5 bucks and they put it all together for me,boot and all. Then you just cut it flush and screw it back on your coil.I like the wire core too for it seems the screw in the coil grips this wire tight and I think it's because of the wire core.
That's my own personal opinion about metal core wire. But it seems if your wire is an original,any wire you choose would do better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I have 2 of them Cdi Modules and they bot screw in I can't remember if'n they're reverse threaded but there is a screw in them

Back