First build, I might be hooked!

First, I'd like to thank all of the members of this forum. I found a lot of great info on here to help with the build. I also found info in the /r/motorizedbikes subreddit as well as a couple other resources. All seem like great communities of people who like to work together and share info.

My build started with a Sixthreezero Around the Block men's 26" single speed. I wanted a steel frame beach cruiser style bike with some style, but also a brand with a fairly good reputation and not overly expensive. I went with the matte grey, as I wanted a little bit of contrast with the black and white.

From there, I went with the typical ebay 66cc two-stroke china girl kit. The following items I added to the build:
  • CDH Power 44T sprocket/hub kit
  • North Tiger Spring chain tensioner
  • #41 nickel plated chain
  • Planet Bike Polycarbonate Fenders
  • Tektro Front dual-pivot caliper with Kool Stop Pads
  • XYZCTEM Rearview Mirrors
  • "Retro Clown Horn"
The tank and CDI are affixed to the frame using 3M VHB as well as the brackets supplied with the kit. This was an effort to reduce any movement post-install and prevent me from having to over-torque the fasteners. During install everything was disassembled, lubricated, loctited and re-torqued.

Still breaking her in. I'm running the VP Fuels 40:1 premix, as I live in MA and non-ethanol based fuels are not found at the pump. Top GPS measured speed at this point is 32.8MPH. I've retorqued once so far but haven't found anything of concern just yet.

I had a fantastic time building this and am hoping to step it up a bit more on the next build. I'd love to do something with disc brakes and suspension next with a bit more off-road capability.

Here are the pictures. I hope you enjoy as much as I have! Feel free to express any concerns, dislikes or whatnot, I can take it!
(Click thumbnail for full size)

best online photo viewer

Some updates on the bike...

Ended up going with the springer fork mentioned by @Old Busted Hotness -- Thank you! Totally transformed the ride. I followed your lead and used some rubber hose as a form of rebound dampening over the hard bushings that came with the fork. Also a disk brake wheel and appropriate disk brake up front for some additional stopping power. Removed the clown horn in favor of a bell even though neither do squat at speed.

After riding around some with the fenders, I decided I wasn't a fan. The back one had a very slight interference with the drive chain and was making an annoying rattle when I went over big bumps. In place of this out back I used a sheet of Kydex under the rack to add as a makeshift fender and keep the splash up the back from happening as much as possible:

Hopefully it warms up soon so I can get some more time on the bike and less tinkering.

Looks like the bike I'm going to build next, (frame wise) except for the color, and I have a monkey bike tank for it. That tank sit more over the frame than on it.

That sounds like a really cool build.

I've been thinking of mocking up a wrap around aluminum tank. My tig skills could definitely use the practice.

Welcome to the forum @camoto Nice Bike. I see ya have a Mass. Moped License Plate.
In Mass. ya gotta register that bike as a Moped? It's only a power assisted bicycle.

Here in CA. your suppose to pay a one time fee of $19 for a power assisted bicycle sticker and ya don't need a D/L or insurance.

A short story,
I talked to the CA. DMV they wanted me to register my 2005 Whizzer Motorbike 138cc as a Moped, pay a yearly registration fee,
have an M-2 M/C license and they were gonna send me a license plate too. I talked to my insurance company they told me they would not insure my Whizzer as a M/V That CA. don't consider my Whizzer as a M/V and if I wanted insurance to put it on my home owners insurance policy. In case of theft I could claim the value. I talked to the Cops next. They said they call a Power Assisted Bicycles a Moped. (motor and pedals)
Yes I know the CA. laws. On my bike there is no ID of HP or CCs. Well there was, one of the rivets that was holding the ID badge on popped off so I took the badge off. It was mounted on the side of the frame neck.

Now the Rebel in me came out. If I didn't need a D/L or insurance, I didn't want a big stupid license plate on my bike and I was not gonna pay the State of CA. $ every year. I was not gonna put a dumb sticker on it either. I figured if I ever got a warning I would buy the sticker and put it in my saddle bags and show it if ever asked.
I've been riding around CA. for 15 years now and only been stopped twice. Once I ran a stop sign. The cop gave me a ticket for running a stop sign on a bicycle $175 no ding on my D/L record. The other time I was pulled over. The Cop just wanted to look at my bike.
Oh, I almost forgot I got pulled over a third time I was using a Beer Can as an oil catch can to catch any oil from the crankcase breather hose. I got pulled over for having an open container while riding. The Cops and I both had a good laugh. The cop said when he left "You should start drinking Pepsi the Beer Can makes you look like an alcoholic". I soon made a C.A.O.S. breather ( Crankcase Air Oil Separator) for the vent hose.

My Whizzer has a working Headlight, Tail (stop) Light and Turn Signals. I don't ride on sidewalks and I obey all traffic rules.
That's all the Cops care about.
If ya ride around like an ass your gonna attract attention. On sidewalks No lights at night. Riding in traffic with no tail (stop) light.
Running stop signs or traffic lights.
Have Fun, Ride Safe

BTW I have a M/C license

Attachments

• DSCF6279.JPG
    DSCF6279.JPG
    255.8 KB · Views: 200
  • DSCF9823.JPG
    DSCF9823.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 188
MA has some pretty poorly written laws about Mopeds and Limited Use Motorcycles. If it has a motor, and you want to ride it on the street, technically you're supposed to register it. The laws are fuzzy and some people do and others don't register them. They just changed it mid last year so that it's a plate and not a sticker, but for a Moped or Limited use motorcycle you do not need insurance. However, you do need either a M/C Permit or License to ride it on public roads. Pretty convoluted, I know. Also, even at the RMV (our version of DMV), they were confused about the process and it took them a while to even find the right forms for me. For me the point was about minimal harassment and trying to do the right thing so I just got the dumb plate.

I need to find out the paint code for the frame from sixthreezero. I was thinking of just painting the back part of the springer fork to keep the silver/black contrast thing going.

MA has some pretty poorly written laws about Mopeds and Limited Use Motorcycles. If it has a motor, and you want to ride it on the street, technically you're supposed to register it. The laws are fuzzy and some people do and others don't register them. They just changed it mid last year so that it's a plate and not a sticker, but for a Moped or Limited use motorcycle you do not need insurance. However, you do need either a M/C Permit or License to ride it on public roads. Pretty convoluted, I know. Also, even at the RMV (our version of DMV), they were confused about the process and it took them a while to even find the right forms for me. For me the point was about minimal harassment and trying to do the right thing so I just got the dumb plate.

I need to find out the paint code for the frame from sixthreezero. I was thinking of just painting the back part of the springer fork to keep the silver/black contrast thing going.
Your an honest Man, Thank you for doing the right thing in the eyes of the RMV. (DMV)
The RMV just wants your money. If the law is fuzzy, I wouldn't pay them a yearly fee$ for a Reg.
Now if ya run a stop sign or get any kind of a traffic ticket it will go on your D/L record.
Check with you M/B friends and ask them if any thing serious has happened to them for riding a M/B without a Reg.
I bet the people who have electric bikes don't Reg. them. Some of those electric bikes will go faster than your bike.
Anyways, Reg. is a small fee to pay for M/B riding fun and ya got peace of mind knowing your legal.
Have fun

Lol, sadly I don't have any M/B friends. I do have many Enduro/off-road MC and street bike friends and they think I'm crazy doing all of this. To them I kindly explain that motorized bicycles are the roots of motorcycles and to be fair, two wheels are two wheels. Plus, this was more of just a fun winter project for me than anything else. As soon as riding season starts back up I'll be out and about on the other bikes. But this will be fun for a quick jaunt here or there.

Also, I'm surprised nobody has made any cracks about the name I put on the tank. Tame crowd for sure! :D

Back