FIRST BUILD- Vintage Bike, and TECUHMSEH 3.5HP GO-KART MOTOR

Hello guys! I'm Christian, and 16 years old. I have blacksmithed for 9 years and been welding for about 9 monthes. I had an old bike that my grandfather gave me and an old Tecumseh 3.5 motor that went on my Go-Kart. So what do I do? Combine them! I am a new member, and this is my first post, and my first build. So please give me any tips and ask any questions! Thanks! I'm taking the pedals off, so I guess it's legally a motorcycle xP
P.S. My mig welder is broke and I'm to lazy to fix it, so I am using my SMAW welder, so most of these are tacks till I get the mig welder working cause the tubing is so thin and all I've been doin is burning holes. xD So sorry if the welds look nasty.

Gear Ratio question: I have a 12 tooth gear on the clutch that will go to a jackshaft that will go from an 18 tooth (connected to the clutch) to a 52 tooth which will run to a 24 tooth attached to the rear tire. How will this perform, or should I use a different gear on the jack shaft? The 12, 52, and 24 are pretty permenant, cause I'm using the original 10 speed gearing the bike came with. But I'm just asking how one set up will act to give me an idea on how my bike will perform. Cause I am going to make mine shiftable using the shifter the bike has.
Wellp, Here it is!

Attachments

• sHOP 051.jpg
    sHOP 051.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 3,323
  • sHOP 050.jpg
    sHOP 050.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 1,985
  • sHOP 047.jpg
    sHOP 047.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 1,769
  • sHOP 038.jpg
    sHOP 038.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 2,161
  • sHOP 039.jpg
    sHOP 039.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 2,160
ACE hardwere should have them,or a farm supply,like Tractor supply,Northern might have . Most gears or sprockets require a key way to hold them from turning. They also have set screws to hold them from sliding back and forth..............Curt

The gears I'm using doesnt have a key hole, and the shaft I'm using doesn't either

The easiest way is to first calculate exactly what sprockets you need on the jackshaft, then weld the sprockets to the jackshaft.

The more versatile way would be to machine the gears and shaft to accept keyways.

The more expensive way is to purchase the correct jackshaft and gears with keyways and setscrews.

One more way is to drill all the way through and put in a roll pin like 1/4",unless you have mega power it should hold up to the 3.5 HP.............Curt

One more way is to drill all the way through and put in a roll pin like 1/4",unless you have mega power it should hold up to the 3.5 HP.............Curt

I like the roll pin Idea! That's what I'll do. I'll probably fab it up tomorrow xP Then this thing will be "ridable" Haha, can't wait xD
Random Question:
Once I paint this thing, what would be a good clear coat to protect the paint from scratches and repeated washes and give it a nice gloss. Will numerous coats of Clear Coat do the trick?

I've set the jackshaft aside (It's starting to tick me off. I can't get the gears aligned) And started back on the front suspension until I find a better way to fab a jackshaft. Thanks to Curtis for the leafspring!

Attachments

• sHOP 085.jpg
    sHOP 085.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 349
Here are some updated pictures. I have a rear band brake I took from my old Go-Kart, works well to shed off speed. I reinforced the frame some more, and Put the front wheel on the fork to roll it around. I still need to make the swing arm for the front suspension. I ordered a jackshaft, so that should be here soon.
So I cranked up the engine and was working on the idle cause it idle's high, and my bike started falling apart!! The vibration was making the bolts come of. After I disassemble it a paint it, will blue 242 loctite on all the bolts during reassembly solve this? I don't want to use the red because it will make everything permenant.

Attachments

• Front-Right view of bike.jpg
    Front-Right view of bike.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 386
  • Ride view of bike.jpg
    Ride view of bike.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 313
  • Band brake.jpg
    Band brake.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 314
  • Rear brake pedal.jpg
    Rear brake pedal.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 287
Ny-lock nuts should do the trick. and maybe put a mount on top of the engine to one of the head bolts...........Curt

I'm using ammo cans as Saddle bags. Only one is mounted in the picture thou, still reinforcing it (it wobbles) so I'm gonna wait till I perfect it till I mount the other. But heres the pictures of what it looks like!

You might want to consider having those ammo boxes open toward the back of the bike so the lid doesn't interfer with the engine. Also..include zip ties in your tool kit. Zip ties have saved me on numerous occasions.
I also agree with some of the other posters...you are going to need some heavy duty rims and tires on that sucker. With all the weight your adding you will destroy those rims (and possibly get hurt) when you hit your first pothole. Nice work so far though.

Last edited:
Back