Free Spirit 3 wheeler front wheel drive

Discussion in 'Motorized Trikes' started by peddling_motors, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Does anyone know what this bike is worth and what would the motor be worth?

Attached Files:

• Y1.jpg
      File size:
      184.3 KB
    • Y2.jpg
      File size:
      179.5 KB
    • Y3.jpg
      File size:
      165.3 KB
    • Y4.jpg
      File size:
      213.2 KB
    • Y5.jpg
      File size:
      32 KB

2. stude13

stude13 Active Member

hi; i just bought one for 125. i would pay 125-150 for the trike. i talked to uncle punk about the drive wheel, he suggested a skateboard rubber or neopreme wheel. use a hole saw a bit smaller than the drive and he said to boil it and slip it on. the motor is a tanaka 23cc.
  3. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

The 3 wheeler is a Schwinn. They should bring about $150+. The motor can sell for $100-$200, just according to who wants one. Might be easier & you may make more money by selling separately. Motor kit parts are available here;
  4. mlcorson

mlcorson Member

I just bought one of those motors from a friend for $40. I bought parts from The parts package cost me $160. Was it worth it? I needed a new drive roller, rebuild kit for the fuel pump, New primer bulb, check valve and fuel filter. The literature package was $25, which was a couple of a old manuals and repair guide. I replaced the fuel pump and it still needs some work. Yes, you can definitely machine out a skate board wheel and place it over the drive hub. It would have been worth it if the motor would have just spring back to life, it runs a little rough right now, but I still need some work on the fuel pump. Relatively simple motor and will last forever. Bottom line for turned out to be more a high priced project than I would have liked, and more a "project" than I wanted.
    In retrospect, I would have been better to take the $200 I have in it this motor and save the difference for new friction drive kit and motor. I'm contemplating selling my motor, taking a loss and being done with it.
  5. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

200 to 350 -- if I wanted that THING

it's a nice looking ride -- someone will want to buy and ride that THING
  6. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

Money can add up in a hurry. I don't like that Mike " makes" everyone buy a $25 manual before he will take orders, either. BUT, he is the "source " for those kits & his part prices are not outrageous. Sounds like yours needs some more carb cleaning & running. Is gas tank clean ?? If the motor was sitting a long time, it will have varnished old gas in it that will be a problem forever, if not cleaned.Add just a litlle bit of " SeaFoam ' to fuel, spray carb cleaner into sparkplug hole to rinse out, spray in every fuel orifice, have new & correct plug & good wire. [ many are old & dry-rotted. ] Once running good, these will last almost forever. GOOD LUCK !
  7. mlcorson

mlcorson Member

Sounds like the voice of experience. Thank you. Yes, gas tank was quite dirty with dried gas etc. I cleaned out thoroughly and replaced all fuel lines, etc. Gas @ 50/1 Fuel pump is working. New plug, wire looks good. It will start cold, won't give me power at higher throttle (under load). Won't stay running when warm. The plug is black and moist. All indicators of too rich??? The carb needle is at the top position. What's next?
    I feel I'm close, just need that tweek somewhere. (I hope)
  8. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

Sounds like it is still dirty. Old gas will get as nasty & as hard to remove as old oil based paint. Nothing is worse for small 2 cycles than storing these with gas still in them. I run all mine dry after every use. Must work because I have a Robin weedwhacker that is about 20 years old. Sounds like you still need to clean more. Is inside of tank VERY clean ? RINSE,, RINSE,, RINSE. Remove any & all gas lines & fittings & run spray carb cleaner thru them. Blow out with low air pressure. Plug wire should not be cracked. Are you running the right plug? I am not the expert, like Mike is, but it does sound like you are getting there. Once buying parts from him, he will assist you & answer questions you have.
  9. mlcorson

mlcorson Member

Yes, I cleaned tank very well, replaced all the feed tubes. Last night I took the carb apart and cleaned it. Engine starts but won't run. Mike must be out of town, but I'll check with him on this issue. A silly question perhaps, but is there a "float" in the float chamber? Or is it just an empty chamber?
  10. Well, It Ain't yeller anymore...LOL
    stole some "Spy-shots"
    before it left the Fab shop
    It's black and Tight fit.

Attached Files:

11. mlcorson

mlcorson Member

What happened to the motor that was with it when you started?
  12. The owner, Wants it back.
  13. No Cover Charge

Another spy photo from our assembly room
    got throttle and clutch cables on and all three chains tensioned
    dang its getting crowded in there

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  14. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

What do you mean by that? These are not only our heritage and history, but a dang fine engine kit that will practically run forever. These are the roots we come from and before you knock it, maybe take a better look. Try a test ride if you ever come across one.
    As for repair cost, these have been out of production for 25 years. It's like restoring an original era whizzer, Chicken Power, Shaw, or what have you. Mike is a great guy, and Though I agree that "forcing ' to buy the literature package is a bit pirate, he will assist you through the process in every way. Just remember, he is out for 30 days at a time, so be somewhat patient with him in that regard. I will end this by saying again this is an engine that could be 25-35 years old, and you may need replacement parts or asemblies. I know you've already put $$$ in and don't feel like it is worth it. To the enthusiast of vintage stuff it is. If your not into that and just wanna ride a motoredbike we have come a ways since then; there are some very good kits out there these days, and all have their advantages and smile factor and you may be happier with that, but I'm just sayin' don't knock our heritage. I have (and have had) a few of these Tanaka made kits, they are a blast and look great on my '66 Schwinn Typhoon. I love the engagement "shift" lever and knob- It's like an old hot rod.:cowboy:
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2008
  15. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

Uncle is right. While the Sears, et al, engine kits look primitive, they are still in use all over the world. I'll take a Tanaka motor over 10 H.T. motors. By the way, the later model of these, had a nice plastic shroud hiding everything & used a clutch.
  16. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

:surrender: that "thing' is the mountainman's catch phrase.....I'm sure no disrespect was meant. ;)

mlcorson, your sears motor is a worthy project...& it deserves its own thread.:)

At this time, I'd like to return this thread to peddling_motors.
    I don't know if anyone else has noticed... but he's building a very interesting trike here.

trike cool.jpg

Looking good!!
  17. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

p_m, I gotta tell ya - that is one sweet build you got going on. Worn out many shoehorns so far?

I really, really like what you are doing. Heck, make a couple sheetmetal "wings" lined with thin eggcrate foam to shroud the sides, run your exhaust under and point the tip down behind the basket, and that will be one stealthy machine. If you are worried about airflow, do what I've seen done once - hook up a couple of large computer case cooling fans in a shaped shroud just in front of the seat tube, with the wings in place it will guide all of the airflow over the engine, and the larger fans will move a LOT of air at (typically) just a few volts.

Of course, that assumes stealth is at all an issue for you.
  18. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

I'm sure Mountainman means no disrespect.

He ALWAYS mentions that THING.:biggrin:
  19. Sorry Guys I am a SHE
    I enjoy doing it all I just dont like to weld so I let the other guys do that part for me

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  20. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

Sorry for the gender mix-up!! :redface: