Front Drive Question

5-7 Heaven,
I just got a chance to watch the You Tube videos of you & Ed in Hawaii.
How does the bike perform having 2 engines?
Are you still legally in the 49cc rule or do you need to add the combined cc's?
I'm curious cause I would like some more oomff out of my bike.
I was contemplating adding either another engine or going for a larger 2 stroke (or both).
-Lowracer-

You should actually get more consistent cooling by leaving the shroud in place; the blower on the flywheel sucks air in and forces it over and around the engine cooling fins.

I still feel that at 30+ mph, the air being able to flow through the fins & around the head far outweighs what the flywheel fan is producing. Since I've removed the shroud, I dont get that heat I was experiencing. Referring to motorcycle history, I can't recall an air-cooled motorcycle that had the engine shrouded up under a cover?

I did more than rivet since the pop-rivet gun wouldn't fit inside the rim channel (very limited space here). I drilled four holes & bolted the rims together through the double walled channels (between tube area & spoke nipple area). This way the rim pulley can never seperate from the rim should the JB Weld let go. I only hope I didnt mess with the integrity of the spoked wheel by drilling 4 small holes through it?

Last edited:
5-7 Heaven,
I just got a chance to watch the You Tube videos of you & Ed in Hawaii.
How does the bike perform having 2 engines?
Are you still legally in the 49cc rule or do you need to add the combined cc's?
I'm curious cause I would like some more oomff out of my bike.
I was contemplating adding either another engine or going for a larger 2 stroke (or both).
-Lowracer-

"The Dragon Lady" is history. At the time, that 105lb monster was my best and fastest ride. Top speed on the flats was 40mph. I have progressed to a single-engine mountain bike that is more powerful, has more speed and acceleration, and weighs half as much.

At walking speed, the front end was left-front biased, quite unwieldy. Once under way,twin engines was the bomb. Each engine complemented the other, so less strain on both powerplants. ANNND, you had TWICE the torque and hp at any speed. At one point, I had chain drive in the rear and front friction drive. This was excellent, since you could let the rear engine idle at freewheel,, and run off the front engine.

I used both engines simultaneously 99% of the time. The 2.2hp Mitsubishi engines were very reliable and quiet. Both had their own saddle tanks, and were linked to a Happy Time teardrop auxiliary tank. If one engine gave you trouble, you could "limp home" on the other engine at 25mph. I got the most flat tires and worn-out tires in this forum, while playing friction drive,

My friend Rick is running Staton's rear twin-engine with two Honda 35cc engines. It's more stable and sophisticated than "The Dragon Lady".

A two-legged bike stand is essential. The handlebar would always swing completely to the left when parked, testing the bikestand's limits. To prevent that, I always tied both handlebar grips to the top frame tube. This kept the handlebars pointing forward.

The 49cc limit is not enforced here, nor are there any motorized bike laws. The police and public are more concerned about thousands of loud obnoxious mopeds than that one motorized bicycle they MIGHT see once every couple months.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did more than rivet since the pop-rivet gun wouldn't fit inside the rim channel (very limited space here). I drilled four holes & bolted the rims together through the double walled channels (between tube area & spoke nipple area). This way the rim pulley can never seperate from the rim should the JB Weld let go. I only hope I didnt mess with the integrity of the spoked wheel by drilling 4 small holes through it?

Now I feel safer for you!

Please check pulley and rim for integrity as part of your maintenance schedule.

5-7,
I watched your other vid today of DragonLady & enjoyed seeing what you had done. It was quite a contraption! I am not sure I'll add another engine just yet. I am getting 30-35 mph now tucked low (40+ if I pedal). My bike weighed 42 lbs before adding the engine.
I changed the gearing to get over 90 gear inches (46/12 w/1.5 26" tire).
I'm thinking of building another full body fairing out of coroplast & a front bubble similar to a Lightning F40 but all hardshell no fabric. I'll bet a MB can get over 200 mpg's & do ~50 mph fully faired on just 2hp or less? Anyone ever build such a beast?
Check out the 2 pics I uploaded to get some ideas
-Lowracer-

Attachments

• 1981-Hanebrink-big.jpg
    1981-Hanebrink-big.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 248
  • f40_red_15699.jpg
    f40_red_15699.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 279
5-7,
I watched your other vid today of DragonLady & enjoyed seeing what you had done. It was quite a contraption! I am not sure I'll add another engine just yet. I am getting 30-35 mph now tucked low (40+ if I pedal). My bike weighed 42 lbs before adding the engine.
I changed the gearing to get over 90 gear inches (46/12 w/1.5 26" tire).
I'm thinking of building another full body fairing out of coroplast & a front bubble similar to a Lightning F40 but all hardshell no fabric. I'll bet a MB can get over 200 mpg's & do ~50 mph fully faired on just 2hp or less? Anyone ever build such a beast?
Check out the 2 pics I uploaded to get some ideas
-Lowracer-

Hey, if you do that, I for one would be interested. I've been kicking around the idea of an enclosed recumbent for weather protection if nothing else. The streamlining would be icing on the cake.....where to put the cupholder......

Back