Gears & Ratios 101 (sorta, hehe)

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by gone_fishin, Jan 17, 2007.

1. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

srdavo was looking for some help "visualizing" gearing and ratios as pertains to different drive-types & applications...we did our best, srdavo suggested i post it "as is" for educational & entertainment purposes. if ya can dig thru the rambling, there does seem to be a bit of good info in here.

also, the following is a great example of using "quote" instead of "reply" when using the private messaging system 8)

:lol: please refrain from making fun of our math skills, or lack of...if you just can't help yourself, try to go easy on a coupla old-timers with limited available RAM :lol:

2. psuggmog

psuggmog Guest

I just had to try out the quote function Great flow of information here. There are a few more factors at work here. I'm still lookin' for that free lunch but it ain't happening. The thing about levers is that there is a trade off. The longer the lever, the less force required at the end of the lever to move said load, but the tradeoff is more motion is required. Also the engines have a torque curve where the engine develops maximun horsepower and torque at certain revolutions per minute. It takes lots of power to get something at rest moving and the less to kept it moving. The gearing makes this possible if it falls within the operating range of the engine. In the case of friction drive vs chain drive the coefficient of friction between the driveroller and the tire plays a big part(ever tried to use one in rain ar sleet?)

3. Wheels

Wheels Guest

4. Wheels

Wheels Guest

5. Guest

Guest Guest

No.

6. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

:cool:Thanks for the math lesson, guys. it will definitely come in handy in choosing the correct gearing.

Myron