Good price- Want a Honda GXH50 for your 4 stroke kit?

Discussion in '4-Stroke Engines' started by HoughMade, Aug 14, 2007.

1. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

I am not selling, but I just bought this engine from a place in my home state of Indiana. It was delivered today and is new, perfect and just as advertised. The company is "Small Engine Warehouse". Mine came with the owner's manual, but they advertise they do not come with. They have the manual available for download in any event.

They have Honda GXH50s with no tank (we usually don't need 'em anyway) for $210.00 plus shipping (and tax if you live in Indiana). The shipping was very reasonable at $8.95 across the state, not much more further. I have not found a better price anywhere. I usually see these things for closer to $300.

Here is a link to the site:

I get nothing out of this except the satisfaction of seeing our kind get a decent deal.

Good luck!

2. ocscully

ocscully Member

Honda Motor?

The link you have provided above is for a HORIZONTAL mounted Honda motor.
    I think this is going to be a problem for you trying to make this motor work in a motored bike installation? This motor is also offered as a VERTICAL mounted motor and this I believe is the motor you will need for a bicycle. I know that the smaller Honda motors the 25cc & 35cc are motors that will work in either vertical or horizontal or any where in between. I agree the price they are offering is great but I think you are going to need a vertical mounting motor.
  3. azbill

azbill Active Member

vertical as in 'vertical take off and landing'?
    methinks you are mistaken my friend
    he is building a bike, not a lawnmower:rolleyes:

if I am wrong, I will leave this post but edit an apology
  4. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

"horizontal shaft" is the correct configuration for our needs.

thanks for the heads-up, there, HoughMade...i'm sure it'll help 8)
  5. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

Correct- it is literally sitting on my desk as we speak- horizontal refers to the crankshaft orientation, not how it is mounted. It is a beautiful little engine. I am so used to the larger Honda's, Briggs and Tecumsehs...something this small and well made is really a joy to look, to get it mounted.

I've been the the mortorized bike game for a short time, but I've been tearing small engines apart for 25 years. It's not that I cannot make a mistake, but I know a thing or two about engine terminology. ;)
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2007
  6. ocscully

ocscully Member

Horizontal vs Vertical

I have come to believe that the problem lies in the terminology. Small Engine Warehouse uses the term Mount/Mounting when describing these motors where Honda uses the term shaft. The (Horizontal Mounted) moter that Small Engine Warehouse is offering is in fact the Horizontal Shaft motor we need for most all bike installations. I originally took the description (Horizontal Mount) to be a Vertical Shaft motor like for a rotary lawnmower. After looking further at the description/part # from Small Engine Warehouse I relieze that the motor is of the Horizontal Shaft Type. Sorry for my confusion.
  7. ocscully

ocscully Member

Additional Question?

Do you feel that you will run into any problems due to the 3/8in. shorter output shaft length, (1&1/4in. vs 1&5/8in.) Specifically with the powercontrol gear box and centrifical clutch assembly?
  8. drimpact

drimpact Member

9. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2007
  10. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

The kit I have purchased is specifically listed as being for the 1 1/4 x 5/8" shaft.

If there is a problem...I'll post it...and solve it. Figuring these things out is the fun part!

RATRODER Guest

This is the same I used on mb#2, on the bottom thare is 4 drilled & taped holes louis
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2007
  12. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

Quick update- haven't mounted the engine (Honda GXH50) yet (still mocking up all the frame, etc.), but I test ran it over the weekend. Installed the low oil switch, filled with standard 10W30, took out the sparkplug to verify the gap and check the spark, pulled the engine through several revolutions, filled the fuel bowl with a tiny funnel (no tank), started on the first pull. Ran great. Refilled the bowl a few times and ran it up and down the rev range (never all the way up), for several minutes.

So far, so good.

I did not bolt it down to anything and I easily steadied it with one hand throughout the range. I do not have a frame of reference as I've never had a 2 stroke bicycle engine, but it seems to run quite smooth to me. I've seen refereneces here in other post that claimed the engine is very raucous; I'll have to get it mounted, but it seems fine to me. I've worked with numerous larger Briggs and Tecumsehs which run at 1/2 the rpm, and this vibrated no more for sure and feels like much less.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2007
  13. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

Having just gotten my Grubee Skyhawk II kit- I can confirm that the GXH50 I got from Small Engine Warehouse fits up to the gearbox perfectly. No machining or sleeving necessary- shaft length is perfect.

You can't beat the $210 price- sure a Chinese clone is cheaper....and may be just fine...but I'll take the peace of mind because I am putting quite a bit on money into this thing.
  14. sdol

sdol Guest

Grubee build-up kit

Do you mind sharing with us the source/link of the Grubee build-up kit you purchased?, assuming that its not the guy from Tuscon. Also would you mind posting some photos of the kit espically of the Gear Box.

15. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

I would, but then there's that assumption.....I will leave it slightly vague.

All I'll say is that I bought it before I was fully aware....and though it took a month to get it, it is as advertised as far as I can tell.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2007
  16. azbill

azbill Active Member

very well worded :D
    keep us informed on how the build goes,
    some of a higher moral fiber should also be getting them soon, I hope
    (if he can get them, why not others?)
  17. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

18. xkwox

xkwox Member

19. xkwox

xkwox Member

so with that kit and the motor, i will have everything i need to install it?

does the kit come with a rack to mount the motor on my bike?
  20. azbill

azbill Active Member

he bought the engine seperately from the kit
    if you had read the entire thread, you would have known this