GPS, Garmin, Tom Tom, etc on mo-bikes

Discussion in 'Travelling, Commuting & Safety' started by happycheapskate, Apr 16, 2010.

1. happycheapskate

happycheapskate Active Member

I searched and did not find anything else on this topic, so I am creating a thread to discuss and review GPS products, bike mounts, and services for the motor bicycling community.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 255 wide screen and I love it!

I got it for $110 shipped on Amazon.

I mounted it to my bike today with a $20 zipper-case motorcycle mount from Semson Electronics. I can still use the touch screen effectively, and this looks very durable.

2. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

I have the same Garmin, but never use it on a bike. I am a big fan of Garmin GPS.

3. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

I need that. I can get lost going to the bathroom. :rolleyes7:

4. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

5. CaptJ

CaptJ Member

I just recived a bike mount for my Garmin GPS 360C, I love it, works well.
    The only thing is it interferes with my Bell wireless speedo so I run one at a time.
    The miles are recorded from the GPS then added to the Bell speedo. Need to reset the speedo ODO or total miles. No big deal.
    Have Fun!
    ... CaptJ

6. chefdouglas

chefdouglas Member

I have a garmin and use it as a speedometer, its a lot more accurate than anything else that can go on a bike. I like the top speed feature.

7. RusticoRay

RusticoRay Member

Velcro my way home

I'm using my Garmin 255 for speedometer on several motored bikes but I also use it on my moped for a occasional Boston ride. Just in case I loose the pack of screaming chainsaws. It adheres well and I have driven some horriable roads and haven't lost it yet.

Attached Files:

8. seanhan

seanhan Member

I Love Garmin's !!!

We have 2 nuvi 255wt and 1 nuvi 760 ...
    Garmin is the best i have seen , They get a quick lock and work well.
    But I dont use them on my bike ...just the cars..
    The blue tooth feature is really cool and my 760 has a great MP3 player also.

9. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

Sometimes, out of curiosity, I will set my Garmin to go to a location, then on the way, try to " fool " it by changing directions, making wrong turns, etc. It is amazing to me how it just " re-calculates" so quickly. I wish we had those while I was in service !!!

10. (Ian)

(Ian) Member

Definitely going to invest in a GPS this summer. My friend's got one on his MB and he loves it.

11. happycheapskate

I saw this on another thread and bought it . It works as promised.
    http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/semsons-inc_2097_7512877
    [​IMG]
    The velcro idea is awesome though! I thought of that, but I was afraid to locate the elecronics near the flammable fuel of course, and also afraid that the velcro might weaken in the summer and peel from the surface.

I suppose you could use velcro designed for CB radios (heavy compared to phone/gps) and that should hold well to nearly anything.

12. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Member

I have a garmin NUVI and it is awesome. I have not tried any other brand so can not give a decent review of what is better or worse but do really like this one. After seeing how well RusticoRay's Velcro works, I made a lil "dash board" and mounted a tach as well. Have to redo it as it is to small. Another cool part of mounting like that, when you get some where, just pop it off and put it in your pocket. We rode down some dirt roads with lots of bumps and held on perfect. Been working on making/finding a solar charger. Gives you all you need to know with a tach. Speed, distance, avg. speed and directions. Great lil investment.

This is the cheapest I have found; http://www.buy.com/prod/usb-portabl...l/q/listingid/64676582/loc/101/213453631.html

13. raattlerviper

raattlerviper New Member

Does the Garmin Nuvi show the speed you are traveling at?

14. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Member

Yes, but has a minor lag on mine. It's a second or 2 behind when accelerating or slowing down.

15. happycheapskate

I have the Nuvi 255W and its dead on. If you are on the main screen (watching the little map move realtime-there is even a bicycle vehicle icon!-) you can touch the speed and a "dashboard" screen will come up, showing your speed in big numbers, your direction (N E S W or in between), and trip info, like a cyclocomputer would tell.

I love mine and I take it everywhere. I use it at work and on weekends.

EDIT: you have to download the Felt Bicycle icon from Garmin website, and need a $1 USB cable to go to your Nuvi.
    Also, Garmin sponsors a bicycle team! You can hear a team member's voice as your Nuvi guide if you download Team Garmin's Matt White (English, sounds like Aussie accent).

16. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Member

17. happycheapskate

Yes, thats the link for the vehicle Icons. [​IMG] Felt Bicycle (road bike handlebars)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  18. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Member

That is so cool Happy. I had no idea about any of that. Gotta love the net and folks sharing. TY again.
    Wanted to ask ya, no lag time with MPH at MB/slow speeds?

19. happycheapskate

I don't know if its more dependent on the model of Nuvi or the location on the earth (reception) but here in Dallas suburbs, the nuvi is very fast at updating the speed (about every second usually) and is pretty consistent. In my diesel truck, it shows the same speed at the guage. In my auto, it shows off by 5 mph all speeds over 20, but I had a transmission rebuilt this year. On my bike, it matches the walmart red speedo pretty closely. I used the stock figures that you can get from the instruction book for a 1.75 tire, and added 5mm at a time till it matched my wifes car. You can also roll out the tire diameter.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  20. TREEWK

TREEWK Member

At 71 Mph On My Truck Speedo, My Street Pilot Shows 70 Mph. When It Shows 32 Mph On My Shifter Bike - It Feels Like 50 And I Slow Down!! Lol. Ron