Had my first real scare today!

markjs

Local time
11:55 PM
I was having idle troubles. I'd set it, then it would go up, then I'd set it down and it would be fine, then it died. Then one time when I let out the clutch the engine raced with no throttle! The kill switch wouldn't even kill it it was running so fast, so I had to drop the clutch!

Turns out the carb had come loose, was a MASSIVE air leak, I didn't have a way to tighten it, but I just shoved it on hard. I coasted a while down hill to cool it down, but it started and ran home fine without coming loose again. I gave it a serious tightening, but I have a feeling it won't be the last time it give me problems. After that the idle was easy to set again.

Plus the throttle now goes past it's stop, so I gotta get in there and fix that too....

Also I have to keep it in my living room now; I went to the store and locked it up (have one of those old U style locks) and then I could NOT unlock it. I thought I was screwed, but a friend came with a grinder and cutting wheel, but now i have no lock.

All in all, a real PITA today!

The one good thing; it seems to have developed a LOT more power. I'd guess it would be around 1.5hp at first, now I might have 2.5, even 3. I'm shocked how much peppier it is than when I built it.

Well not really with a screwdriver and cheap dollar store needle noses pliers, just tight enough it can't turn by hand.
If you're going to be in this hobby, you're going to have to invest into quality tools and locks. The one thing you're doing right is bringing your bike inside when you're done riding. There's 2 reasons for that:

Doesn't over expose your bike to weather conditions.

Thieves learn your movement patterns and will strike when an easy opportunity presents itself.

Back