Harbor Freight - what sucks and what doesn't list

arceeguy

Local time
10:40 AM
Since we all like to tinker with mechanical things like our motorized bikes, and do it on a "low budget" - I thought it would be helpful to post which tools sold at HFT are good, and which ones are not.

I have found that most of the tools are OK if you are not a professional contractor/mechanic that depends on them every day - but there are some items that aren't worth the shipping from China. There's a reason why some have nicknamed them "horror freight". When I placed my first catalog order from them several years ago, they were "Harbor Freight Salvage". Where did the "salvage" go? I can risk $25 on a 4.5" grinder, but I wouldn't trust a HFT pacemaker!

Post your experiences both good and bad!

Also - let's not get into China bashing. It's all about getting cool tools cheap. For example, a HFT auto feed wire welder for 90 bucks can get a fellow MB enthusiast making custom frames where they wouldn't be able to afford the $500 Miller or Lincoln.

The Good-

Central Pneumatics 2HP pancake compressor. - I've had mine for several years now. It is oil lubricated with cast iron cylinder. Great for dusting things off with compressed air, and to run small air tools. I even run my IR 230C impact gun with it. (in short bursts, enough to knock off lug nuts with ease!) Can be had for $89 on sale.

4.5" Grinder - Had mine for about 5 years. It hasn't failed me yet! Gearbox is noisy, but my buddies Home Depot Ryobi is worse.

Bench Grinder w/flex shaft - I use this one a lot. I had to replace the brushes already! (it is about 3 years old)

3/8" butterfly impact wrench - Great for automotive work. Knocking off oil drain plugs, caliper bolts, etc. Small enough to fit in most spots, powerful enough to break small fasteners (less than 15mm bolt head) loose.

Electronic Fly Swatter - yep, this one is silly, but they had a pile of them on sale for $2.99. Kills flies and yellow jackets with a hearty "SNAP" and a bright blue spark.

Engine cleaning gun - add compressed air with some detergent mix and end up with a sparkling clean engine. (cars, lawn mowers, etc.) Works great on alloy rims blasting away brake dust with ease. I do have to crank up my 220V compressor to run it continuously, as the little HFT compressor cannot keep up.

6.5 HP Horizontal Shaft Engine - we beat the living carp out of these Honda GX clones and they keep coming back for more. Disable the governor, and keep it under 5000RPM! The ones I've purchased had the "Central Machinery" brand and were made by Lifan in China - a large motorcycle/scooter manufacturer. "Greyhound" is a new trade name for HFT. I have one of their new 2.5HP engines, but haven't powered anything with it yet. (it is going on a rack mount motorized bike project)

The Bad -

1/2" drive impact extension set - The metal is too soft and considerable energy is lost in the extension and not applied to the nut or bolt you are trying to hammer off. My Craftsman impact extensions are hard enough to transfer the power, yet not shatter like a standard extension would. The HFT set is the one I will loan out. :devil2: (Golden Rule #1 - Never loan out tools you actually want back!)

Anything cordless. (and less than say $35) The chargers are most likely overnight trickle chargers, the batteries self discharge in a week, the motors are not too powerful.

1/2" Drive Electric Impact Wrench - Rated at 240 lb/ft, I doubt it exceeds 120 lb/ft. Very disappointed. Another one to loan out. :)

1/2" Drive Impact Wrench - This one is kind of a toss up. For 20 bucks did I really expect it to deliver 250 lb/ft of torque? It doesn't, but I do use it quite a bit. I'll pull out the Ingersoll Rand impact if this one doesn't have the balls to do the job.

More GOOD:

Lock Tite: Best thing you can buy there is the little squeeze bottles of it for a buck or so. I use blue on just about everything (especially those pesky bolts on HTs)! Keep a bottle in every tool box, glovebox, camper, boat etc.

15 gal or so Compressor: It works great, fill quick and keeps its pressure. A little loud but not too bad.

Angle Grinder: $10 on sale. I run flap wheels on it to clean up after grinding with my big expensive non HF angle grinder. Beats changing wheels. I'd buy another.

Central Machine Bench Grinder: I bought one about 5 or so years ago with the goose neck light. The guards are junk but the grinder is great. The light is nice and I think they are still about $30 or so. Gonna buy another so I don't have to swap wheels.

Vacuum Test Set: Accurate, comes in a decent case and has all the little fittings, plugs etc you need. Very useful in timing and tuning. A must have if you have a carbed motor.

Big Rubber Tire Flatbed Wagon: Very useful in the yard and super strong. Also nice for the outdoors. Throw on your chairs, fishing gear, coolers etc etc. I have a big block chevy sitting on it now. (need to get a HF engine stand)

Small Oxy/Act Torch set: This thing is perfect if you just need to do project welding jobs, cutting, brazing etc. Lots of tips available. Perfect for when you need to weld with no electricty, cutting out parts or for brazing bike frames. Only bad thing is you run out of gas quickly due to small size tanks but it goes anyplace and as long as you aren't cutting i beams for days you'll be fine.

The BAD:

Handtools: A waste of money. Untempered, soft steel. Will fail the minute you put any backside into it. I bought someone a set (over 140ish tools) for Xmas last year and they were the Stanley brand from Wallymart. Good quality, nice case and only a little more than HF. As for me I'll save my pennies for hand tools I can pass on. Matco, Mac, Snap on, Craftsman, etc. All of those will replace your hand tools also.

Handheld Sand Blaster: It will leak sand everywhere and its range of adjustment seems to only have 2 settings "is this thing on" and "I think a sand grenade just went off". Though I must say it has gotten a few jobs done for me but I will buy a better one next time I have any blasting to do.

Pittman arm puller: Attached to pittman arm on Jeep and it broke while I was snugging down with hand tools!

Hole Saw Set: Already mentioned but these are a joke. Good for making circle scratches in plywood. I am now using them for small peices of scrap for welding etc.

110v Stick Welder: Junk junk junk. I did not buy this, but tried in vain to weld up a set of glass packs for a friend with one. Worthless duty cycle, heat control was just a knob that had no effect. Went home, got Lincoln and did it right. Save your pennies for a Lincoln or Miller or build you own welder using microwave transformers (thats free BTW and saves them from the land fill) Google: "microwave transformer welder" FYI you can build one as a 220 or 110.

Last edited:
I had an ancient cheep analog multimeter. It finally gave up. I got a HF multimeter to replace it. Sure it is digital and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't Set it to resistance and touch red to black and I get a "1", turn it off, turn it on, and try again I get .0xx Seem like half the time it works. Makes it hard to decide if it is me or the meter. I think I might spend more than $4 and buy something that actually works.

I did get a neato solar battery charger the othe day just for fun.

east wood,

There are entire websites devoted to turnning HF equiptment (mills) ect. into working CNC machines. Quality maybe not as good as USA but Will suit your purpose if under
.070 is requried!

I used the cheap digital multimeter for a year or so, until I checked the 120V line voltage, with it still set on resistance ... :oops: That sure made a funny popping sound:eek: ... :whistle:

I picked up another one today - they're on sale for $2.99 for a couple of weeks. The harbor freight disposo-meter

Shoot - hard to get the smoke back in once it gets out.

I got the $149 workbench. For the ease and the money, it's actually pretty sturdy. The finish is fine, fit not bad - everything lined up. The built in wood vise is a nice extra,

I won't be using it for diesel truck engine rebuilding but it holds the small drill press with plenty of room to spare. The drawers are a little cheese (press board cheese), but I just need a flat surface, yet stronger than a table. If you have the time and access to low cost lumber, build your own. I hardly have time to cut a 2X4 lately so, this puppy fit the bill.

I bought some other stuff, I'll review it later.

I got the new style fold lock knife. Very nice, I really like the push button blade changing.

One thing I should mention on the bench - you can follow the simple instructions and they don't seem to be too much Chenglish. Most assembly is done with the top down. But I didn't want to do most of the assembly with the bench upside down and then flip it and move it (by myself) into the tight "U" shaped spot with my other tables. So I deviated from the instructions and built it in-situ. It's a bit more hassle putting the screws in from underneath, but well worth it when complete. If you have space and a helper, just follow the instructions.

One of the drawer handle captive nuts came out. I glued it back in place and it's holding fine. I did a lot of work on it the last 3 days and love it.

GOOD:

oil filter removal tool kit... works great, saves my wrist and it was cheap. Came with like 3 or 4 different sizes for standard 1/4 ratchet, so far have used it on honda and mopar factory filters.

$130, 12 ton Shop press... worth its weight in gold. Spent $175 having a shop remove the rubber from a single blown mitsubishi 4g63 mount, I was stunned and went and bought this that weekend... cant tell you how many I have removed since saving hundreds in labor (at that rate)

BAD:

$10 creeper.... worked for about a month then the front wheel came of along with the threads that held it on. Purchased a craftsman, MORE EXPENSIVE BUT DEFINITLY WORTH IT.

Last edited:
Back