has this been asked?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by SilverHeels, Nov 14, 2013.

1. SilverHeels

SilverHeels Member

Hi Guys,
    This is my 2nd post on this forum. The first was my introduction. I have a couple of Allstate Mopeds and am looking for a Whizzer. Is the main difference the fact the Allstate has a shifter and the Whizzer breed does not?
    Thanks for any replies

Ken
    Severna Park, MD

2. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

I think whizzers and allstate mopeds are 2 different animals. Bing pics of both and compare.

3. SilverHeels

SilverHeels Member

OK, thanks for the courtesy of your reply. I kinda thought there was a difference. But, was looking for an affirmation from more learned folks, than this new guy.

Ken
    Severna Park, MD

4. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

I just googled the Allstate moped. I'd never heard of one before.

The Allstate and the Whizzer are two completely and totally different machines.

I also noted that the Allstate was a very fine looking moped/scooter. A really nice little bike.

5. SilverHeels

SilverHeels Member

Yeah, I agree. The more I delve into the Whizzer and it's history, I see a lot of difference. Am I correct in stating the Whizzer bikes do not shift?
    Here's a pic of my Allstate(s)..It'll need some fix'in, but then, that's my retirement therapy.The first one is more of a "luxury" eqpt'd Ped.
    Thanks for your reply.
    Ken

Attached Files:

6. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Whizzer is a bicycle with motor and drive train attached, allstate mopeds made by vespa are Mopeds. Moped is a scooter with pedals or has the capability to attach pedals to a crank.

7. SilverHeels

SilverHeels Member

Hi,
    First, I have to correct your comment "allstate mopeds made by vespa" Wrong! If you read the label in one of my pics carefully, it's made by Steyr-Daimler-Puch, an Austrian company. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puch).
    The Vespa, (two, of which, I've restored and still own) are Italian and mfg. by Piaggio. The Allstate Peds were mfg. by PUCH (Austria) and sold through the Sears stores from the 50s through the 60s. Sears sold many unusual 2 cycle 2 wheel rides, among them...the Vespas, Campus 50s (lightweight motorcycles), the Allstate 175 & 250 motorcycles, the Allstate Compact 50 and the venerable Vespas from '52 thru '66-67, among others.
    I think the Whizzer is an interesting 2 wheeler, but, as I mentioned, I'm new and here to learn from you guys, who know the product.
    Happy Trails....
    Ken

8. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

And I'm about certain that, yes, Whizzer has only one 'speed'.

But there're folks around here who have actually owned one. They'll be around sooner or later and let you know if I'm mistaken.

9. paintgun

paintgun New Member

SilverHeels, that baby is sweet. Can't wait to see it restored. Would like to see pics of your other rides.

10. SilverHeels

SilverHeels Member

Hopefully will be 'live" next spring. This is my other junk....

Attached Files:

11. paintgun

paintgun New Member

WOW!!! Those look like museum quality. VERY NICE!!!

12. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

13. SilverHeels

SilverHeels Member

Hi,
    My original comment was meant to be understood as referring to the "Vespa" scooter being an Italian mfg. company. After all, "Vespa" is Italian for "Wasp". The name of which, was the result of Enrico Piaggio's first impression the early Vespa engines when revving. Yes, the "Allstate" reference was used across many of the PUCH 2Ts, but, the name was a licensed Sears brand. Perhaps, I wasn't being more clear.
    Sheldon's link although a great reference, a greater reference is a book written by Floyd M. Orr, entitled "The Tidldler Invasion". It details a number of the small motorcycles popular in the 60s, imported by mfgs. around the world. It's a nice reference for any of us interested in 2Ts. There's even a reference to the Whizzer on pg. 71. On subsequent pages, he covers the "Allstate" line-up.
    Happy trails...