Exhaust Head gasket & Exhaust Gasket Discussion - pics

Read my tips and you may realize that the studs are backing out of the engine and tightening the top of the studs may cause some serious damage when you rip those studs out.

I'd pull the head and loctite the studs or JB weld them into the block. The studs WILL eventually back out if you dont' do this.

How long might that "life" be is the Question, steel head gaskets?,that's a new one,incredible !!.

I was suprised by the Gasket myself. I'm holding one in my hand (a blown one) and, judging from the weight, it might be Aluminum or an alloy of Tin. Who know's with these guys?

As for the "life" of the engine, I have no idea yet. I get different opinions from different posts on this forum. Mine are still going strong after about 500-600 miles.

May be it's aluminum,I used to make head gaskets for my 2 stroke motorcycles out of thin aluminum or copper flashing, worked fine,the surfaces have to be SMOOTH though,that's important.

Most of my engines leaked around the head gasket. It's made from a solid piece of stel and cannot be compressed. Any imperfections in the casting around the head will result in a leak.

I've never seen a steel head gasket on the HT. The supplied head gasket I've seen is of 2024- or 5052-series aluminum (soft) so they are malleable and do compress slightly. I agree that they are not the greatest for sealing tho, especially if you grind down the ridge on the head. Don't reuse it either, unless you put it back on the exact same way. Nevertheless, I've had no sealing problems with any of my 3 HTs.

Well i fixed my problem, my screws have a flat head bit on them and i was tightening em with a flat head, i had it as tight as i could get it ( well i thought so ) then i got a spanner and tightened em, i turned it almost one more turn so no wonder why it was leaking lol. It works great now.

I just replaced my motor studs today. Didn't use locktite, used some epoxy resin stuff instead. I used gasket sealent on the old gasket and I will torque the bolts up in few days.

BSA

Back