headlights

Agree. LED headlights are awesome for bright, low-power lighting!
55W Halogen is the best for flooding with light and visibility.
LED Taillights are GREAT as well.

I bought two 9-LED flashlights, and have them wired for my 3.7V Li-Ion cells with a 2.2 ohm series-resistor in each light to limit current (so they don't burnout) The dual LED lights alone make plenty of light.

I have a mini 12V 55W Halogen also mounted in place of my front reflector. It floods the road around me with light, and is brighter than the LEDs. It doesn't shine quite as far as the LEDs, but sure is much brighter.

I prefer to run them BOTH that way cars see the two sets of lights and won't run me over. When the 12V battery runs low, I run the LEDs only. Also have a car horn to alert the cagers. So far I've been in danger from other cars much less since adding and using the car horn. Also the extra 12V LED taillight seems to have been helping.

I don't know if there are too many of those multi-LED flashlights that are really worth anything.

I'm a Fenix flashlight lover now.

Here's what one guy's Quad Fenix setup looks like: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=214251

Pretty amazing for just 4 LEDs and 8 Eneloop rechargeable batteries.

Nice thing about the Fenix lights is no wiring necessary and they're waterproof from the get-go, they're lightweight for extra acceleration, top speed, & MPGs (but really... who's counting anymore?), no expensive batteries to lug around and eventually replace, no need to replace the bulb EVER, etc. Not really any reason to go halogen anymore.

Check out the Bicycle section at Candle Power Forums: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=86

Every thread there is about LED setups, because they make the most sense.
I'd be extremely content with just 2 Fenix lights on the handlebars, but they're so frrigin' light I could add a third to my helmet!

I am going with a single 50 watt MR16 in a landscape spot housing. I have attached a pic below. It will fit the vintage look of my bike. It costs about $17 and is made of quality cast aluminum. Of course, it will be painted the color of the bike.

I will not be riding at night, but for safety and legality (law changes coming), I need a fairly powerful headlight, tail light, turn signals and brake light....but I will not compromise the appearance, so I am building it all myself...as usual. I have the housing. I am picking up a 12v 7.2ah SLA today. I am haunting thrift stores for the proper leather case to house the battery...it will come.

I know that the 50 watt will not run for an extremely long time on the battery, but long enough to be legal and for emergencies. Also I am considering my options for an on-board charging system to lengthen run time. The brake light and turn signals, however, will run forever and a day on that battery. Updates with pics in its own topic when the project is beyond the "buying stuff" stage.

Attachments

• 627442004542.jpg
    627442004542.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 217
Back