Hello From Peoria, IL! (New Motorbike Owner Here, Help Wanted)

A performance and high quality iridium or platinum spark plug makes a lot of difference. These spark plugs provide a stronger spark, which leads to better ignition and more power. Its well worth it. I take it the previous owners probably didn't change the spark plug.

Oh yeah, I checked out the plug too... They definitely didn't change it. The ceramic end is white and clean, but the on the threads it was black and "sort of oily" but dry and sooty on the arc point. Had some soot built up so I gave it a good wipe down. Wasn't in terrible shape, but not pretty.

I'm going shopping for some AMSOIL and new gas tomorrow, I'll pick up a high quality spark plug while I'm out. Thanks for the tip!

This is a good example of how folks will get/build one of these things and then neglect to learn even the basics of how to work it. Your bikes' first owner didn't seem to know a thing.

But you're right in thinking that this situation gave you a crash course in some of the things you need to know.

Maybe you ought to have a look at the fitting between your carburetor and the engine intake. Not all of them fit perfectly together. And some of the symptoms you listed sound like a lean fuel mixture.

If your intake doesn't seat just right against the carburetor, then you can seal things up with some silicone caulk.

Congratulations on getting things going better. It sounds like you'll do okay.

The weather tomorrow sounds awful. It's too bad. We've had some pretty good riding days lately. I'm pretty likely to drive to work. I think this'll be the first time in ten days or so.

Yeah, they don't know or care to know, and they are the first to admit it too. Oh well, it's to my benefit I guess...

Right, where the carburetor connects to the engine, you mean the tubes with the 45(ish) angle? I read today someone suggested a strip of electrical tape under the hose clamp to seal that up matter of fact, but silicon caulk sounds much better.

Tomorrow is my only day off in a while, and I had not looked at the weather yet... That really sucks to hear... but I don't care, I'll be out there. I just removed my fenders too!

The front one came off no sweat, but the rear one had a screw I couldn't reach without removing the back wheel, so I kinda just pried the thing off with a flat-head screwdriver. Those fenders are so incredibly flimsy, I couldn't deal with that. I'll figure something out to keep the water off my motor and back, but not those things. The way the builder assembled the bike, he had cut a small section out of the rear fender for the chain -but it still rubbed on it at times- bending the sharp edge toward the tire. I don't have any tin-snips or anything... every time I looked at that I just shook my head. My chain or my tire was gonna be damaged. It had to go.

Thanks for the compliment by the way. At 10AM I was cursing my bike, by 5PM I was zooming around feeling like Tim the Tool Man Taylor. I can already feel that I'm getting sort of obsessed with this thing. Riding and maintenance absolutely go hand in hand.

Last edited:
I can tell you electric tape does not work. You just need to push that carb into the manifold as much as possible and then get a real tight seal on it with your wrench and make it "permanent" with a double nut. If there is a leak, it would be gas and if your seal isnt gas resistance then its not gonna fail eventually. Since I done the double nut, the carb has never moved.

I'm glad you guys have mentioned reinforcing the carb/intake connection, because I sure have noticed fuel leaks. I'd wiped everything down in the morning... checked it again at lunch time, and the lines had leaked (of course they did, they aren't true fuel lines, and are soon to be replaced/secured.) That was clean blue fuel...

But I've also noticed black, oily fuel coming off the carb/intake and getting onto the bike frame and clutch casing. Nothing too severe but it's definitely there. I had thought it was due to all the excess fuel in the motor from the flooding.

I guessed it was so dirty looking because of the ridiculous amount of oil they've been running, but again, thanks for bringing it up: a leak is a leak. That's money up in smoke....

It sounds like securing that connection should definitely be my next step, for a few reasons.

Alright, update time:

Went to Walmart and got a 1 gallon gas can and a funnel. Then went to Autozone and got Valvoline 2-stroke oil (I'm not sure how well broken-in the engine is, so I figured I'd get decent oil, but no need for the super amazing stuff, but not the cheapest either.) I also got a tube of silicon caulk, a second adjustable wrench and a little thing of blue loc-tite.

I did a 24:1 gas/oil mix with 87 gas (5oz oil to 1gal gas.) I did this because it seemed safe for now with plenty of oil. I don't need racing speed. Before I filled my gas tank I took off the carb, emptied the old fuel out of it and made sure it was clean. When I reattached it to the intake, I sealed it all up nicely with the silicon and made sure it was seated tight tight tight.

Filled the tank, started her up and wow... this machine is running wonderfully. I did turn the idle screw up maybe a half turn, just to get my high-end up there a little, and now the idle sounds healthy and active, and WOT gives me plenty of speed. Low-end to mid range torque is more than satisfactory for me. I took it up a couple of pretty good hills with no problem whatsoever. I've got my tire pressure to just below 40psi, which is the recommended pressure.

I haven't applied any of the loc-tite to anything yet, because I'm not sure what should get it and what shouldn't. I have no experience with it, so any input on that would be appreciated. Also, is there anything else that could benefit from the silicon? Aside from that, I'm still waiting to get a really good spark plug. The one in there seems to be doing an OK job for now.

The "fuel lines" gotta go next paycheck, and I'm debating whether or not to drill a few holes in the air filter casing. Seems like it takes a few seconds for the RPMs to go back down after throttling, I'm gonna look up what that means too. But as of right now, all is really well. Just sucks it's so flippin' COLD outside.

Last edited:
Hey everyone just a quick update: I have moved to Gatlinburg TN and had to leave my bike in Peoria... Oddly enough I had a major crash due to wild turkeys flying out in front of me. Hit a pot hole and went down at about 30mph... Just bent the back wheel pretty good.

BUT: I'm staying with a brother of mine in TN who has basically given me a 1969 Harley-Davidson Ironhead Sportster to ride indefinitely... so I'm still a motorized bike owner/lover, but I gotta hog now and I can't be happier.

Thanks again to everyone who offered their input. I'll drop a line when I come back around town.

Back