Hello from Southen California

Here is my 2 cents worth on the topic. There is probably a lot of room for disagreement about connecting a sprocket to the bike. First of all before you begin a major disassembly, decide what size sprocket you want to install. You will not want to change to another sprocket later. The motor will scream at about 24 mph with the stock 44 tooth sprocket. Buying a aftermarket 36 tooth will add about 4 mph with the engine topping out at 28 mph. Don Grubee, the industry leader at gasbike.net appears to be about ready to introduce a new batch of 66's that accommodate front pipes up to 2 inches and has other technical tweaks. This could add another 2 mph bringing the bike up to the sweet spot 30 mph. Since you have already purchased a bike with a S curve front tube, the wider connector may not help you. It was made to fit a straight pipe. This motor is being made to match his new frame already in stock. This motor probably will be out soon since it is already referenced on their website. I would really like a slightly stronger motor without having to go with performance mods and if it was my decision; I would wait for it.

Installing the sprocket is a fairly major operation. Be ready with some metric tools. I think the rear axle nuts are 15 mm. The arm will have to come off the coaster brake requiring 15 & 17 mm flat wrenches. Care must be taken not to loosen the bearings & brake assembly. I don't know if this can be done without the bearings becoming loose. If a bearing falls out of a retainer cage into the greasy hub tube containing the brake assembly; what was the term for that??? I think it's you are f--k-d. I managed to get a coaster brake back together, but they are more complicated than they look, and I'm still not sure how it works.

On my first build, I made the hub adapter out of a hardwood plank using hole saws and a drill press, using the wood you normally throw away as the adapter, cutting it in half and reassembling it using two hose clamps. This build had a unusual hub diameter and was hour glass shaped requiring a custom hub adapter.

100_0674.jpg

The second build I took the lazy way out and bought the $50 hub adapter off ebay.

The hub adapter did not come with instructions and hardware. The big problem is, steel fasteners cannot rub the spokes. Since you are clamping down on a hollow tube, it likely will not stay tight and centered. Plan on it moving. Spokes on low cost bikes or even medium price bikes are made out common steel not stainless steel. Several may all brake at the same time wrecking your day trip if not a lot more. I cut up the donut rag rubber with a dremel cutoff wheel and a pair of metal shears and packed them between the bolts and the spokes. The bolts were replaced with flat head hex cap screws to prevent chain jam in the event of a derailment. The sprocket is shimmed out, sprocket bevel side out with modified bitumen smooth roofing roll material from Menards away from the spokes to the extent the sprocket would remain centered by the hub.
This roofing material makes a waxy polypropylene 1/8 inch with a rayon core shim. The spokes nestle into it allowing the sprocket to align off the outside flat of the hub. I did not use a rubber donut between the spokes and the sprocket. This is my own technique and use it at your own risk.

Therefore with the rubber between the spokes against the plastic polypropylene, shims, it really is a rubber mount not metal from the hub to the sprocket. If it's a rubber mount in order to keep the spokes from rubbing metal bolts, perhaps you could get away with the rag mount. From what I have seen, your would want to replace the bolts and the crappy nuts that would damage the screws. I have faced the sprocket with another plastic shim described, beveled to match the flat head hex screws in order to provide a flat surface a derailment would not hang up on, The plastic shims were also cut with a hole saw.

100_0658.jpg

Chains on the motorbike seem to pick up grit to a greater extent than a regular bike so I have switched from using light fan oil to dry chain oil from Walmart.

All the best

Tensioner.... engine.... speedometer......

Well, I hear the two extremes... the 2 stroke is great and it's terrible.. but, there are many variables.... one of the neg. comments was from someone who was trying to get 45MPH and stated the crank was not balanced.. I'll be happy with 44MPH. :D

They have straight and slanted spark plug heads. For the life of me, I don't know why you would get more compression/power from the slanted plug, but that's what they say.

Honestly, doesn't the tensioner combination above, look awesome? If I were a chain, I think I'd like running over the larger rubber wheel than the smaller plastic. I don't know, BikeBerry reviewers say it runs quieter.....

I just finished laying out the size of the tank mod. Now, I'm thinking of the best way to drop one side as I plan to build the cap right into my internal fiberglass tank. But, there will be a "dummy" gas cap on the outside. Well, I guess that's my plan anyway.

Paul, do you have a build thread going?

Jim

PS I would like to attempt to make the bike look as "vintage" as I can. I was checking out old 1930s speedometers (below) and noticed they tend to have a yellowed face, so I thought of buying a new speedometer (more for odometer than anything) so I thought I'd buy a new speedometer and try to replicate one of these 1930s faces and after opening the modern speedometer..... glue the replica face, under the needle... TALK ABOUT PLANNING AHEAD! :devilish:

30s speedometer.jpg

Crown.jpg

Hey Jim: I do not have a build thread going as I bought my bike from a builder in AZ..However, I do like to post upgrades and new information gleaned from daily riding, as this is my primary transportation for now.

My most recent upgrade, was from SickBikeParts, the 4 stroke throttle assembly. It has a clear window on a CNC red anodized and bearing supported cable pulley. very nice and waaaaay smoother and very positive return to stops. Makes that snap sound when you let it go.

My bike won't win any awards for style or theme, but I do want to have the best running and most dependable 4 stroke around. And to that end, I tinker.

I like your idea of vintage speedos, very cool looking.

Wolfshoes,

You could be the professor on Gilligan's Island with the ingenuity of the first example. You could take coconuts and mount them on the axle! Very nice!

So, do I understand that your method uses the rubber between the spokes as opposed to the normal way of mashing the rubber against the spokes? It looks like your method might push against the sides of the spokes as it turns the wheel?

But the second photo shows a flange shape cut in half.... different than the clam shell type sold by BikeBerry. So, your method is similar between the two methods (rubber between the spokes.... pushing on the sides of the spokes to drive them forward) is the same..... just a metal flange rather than hard wood? If that's true, then that method is similar to the stock method but as you say, your aim is to keep the metal bolts away from the spokes..... Very smart. But, do I understand that the metal flange is not connected to the axle in any way? I would expect it to be..... or, is it not necessary?

In the case of BikeBerries' sprocket adapter.... it bolts between the engine sprocket and the pedal sprocket (sorry, I don't know the correct terms) If that's the case.... it looks like poor engineering to me.... everything is working against the itself. As you said, it looks like it's constantly working to shift or worse, come undone...... Have I got it right?

Jim

I'm still a little confused, which way to go, but I'll cross that intersection, when I get there......

Jim

Ah, Wolfshoes,

I can see the clamp on the second photo now.... sorry... I looked up adapters on eBay.... Fun! And, there yous was. I liked the last line of the ad: YOU WILL BE ABLE TO RIDE THREE TIMES OR MORE FARTHER BEFORE YOUR REAR TIRE FALLS OFF. That's funny... I also liked the idea of the flange helping to keep the sprocket turning true as well as taking a load off of the spokes. Now I understand your method of putting the rubber between the spokes. Either way, I guess you'll get from A to B. The difference is..... how many times you can make the trip.

Jim

I have two bikes with over 500 miles on them and both use the three part rear hub system, but from two different suppliers. They work great, but you need to check the center unit that attaches to the hub occasionally. I found a bit of slippage which stops when the 3 attachment posts encounter the spokes. Inspect, loosen, adjust and tighten as necessary!

My new Florida hub!.jpg

Jimmy H.

Sprocket Adapter solution

Thanks Jimmy,

I'm guessing you're not riding today in the Maryland snow drifts? I appreciate your sending your model of sprocket adapter. That's one of those "top of the line" models, for sure. Tightening the center hub(s) regularly would be a very good practice as the three pieces around the hub, is the "whole ballgame." What makes your design nice is that the adapter is 100% balanced. The only drawback is the price! The adaptive sprocket costs $10 less than my bike!!!!

No system is perfect as there is just so much torque applied to that area. I guess, the perfect system would have to have the sprocket built into the axle.

Basic as it is, I really like Wolfshoes' solution of the rubber between the spokes. I have to assume the rubber mashing the spokes is less than ideal. How bad... I don't know?? But, I did worry about the "wobble factor" because of the less than precision rubber mounting. I found Wolfshoes' $45 upgraded adapter (here on eBay) to be an nice compromise.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181396669774?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Seems like the wobble was addressed with the addition of a center, three piece hub with a hose clamp. (which help to keep the adapter plate..... straight with the world) I thought the clamped flange was to actually hold the adapter to the axle, but I think the alignment is 90% of it's purpose. I don't like the off center hose clamp bolt, but maybe it's close enough to the hub, not to be a problem.

$(KGrHqZ,!ngFH5gcW3hpBSF+B!sH9!~~60_57.jpg

$(KGrHqZ,!o4FIW)E(cPOBSF+Bg0Jcw~~60_57.jpg

According to this, they seem to be running straight and true. ?? Any opinions as to this solution vs the all metal adapter only tightened around the axle? Thanks........

$(KGrHqN,!n0FIGFp5ebBBSF+BnuKkQ~~60_57.jpg

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Sprocket Adapter solution

Hey Paul,

I appreciated you sending the 3 piece sprocket adapter link, from Venice.... (I never knew there were so many motored bicycle shops in Southern California!) It's a nice hub... as I mentioned to jhammondcpa, it costs $10 less than my bike cost.... my birthday is coming up soon though :D

Do you think the eBay $45 version would get me by? It's a compromise between the rubber and metal solution. Jim

I don't remember what I paid for the 3 pieces, but it could have been $85. Regardless of the system you use, alignment is the key! Apparently attaching the gear to the spokes has been the popular way for all engine kits as far as I can tell and it seems to work for most bikes. BTW the diagram I posted was one of many diagrams I found on the internet when I was beginning to build my first bike. I was trying to move my engine as far left as possible to clear 3 inch tires and the 3 piece hub looked like it would help me move the gear farther out than attaching the gear to the spokes. Regardless, each bike is a bit different and it looks like you have the situation under control. It looks very clean and neat!

You can see both of my bikes at this YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/user/JimConHam/videos

Good Luck.
Jimmy H.

Back