Hi, new guy about to do first build!

markjs

Local time
2:36 AM
I'm very poor, but fairly mechanically inclined, and have a lot of experience on motorcycles. I'm drawn to the simplicity, economic value and like to tinker.

My plan is to get a PK80 Wildcat kit from California Motorbikes. Looks like good value, for a $139 price tag, with the option of making it in 4 payments, which for me would be great with my limited income.

I'm getting a free men's steel frame Raleigh. Not sure exactly about the details yet. May end up having to upgrade later.

In any case, I'm fairly set on the wildcat kit, unless someone is aware of an equal or better value?

I'm not caring about top speed and performance. If it cruises reliably and without working too hard at 25-30 and can climb hills is what counts. I wanna keep it simple, yet as reliable as possible as an alternative mode of transpo to save buck and have fun. I'm sure I may want to mod it later, but I don't feel like going much over 30mph on a bicycle is very safe.

I may even later try a 4 stroke kit. I'm tempted to now, but folks tell me they're more difficult to initially setup, though less fuss and more reliable once set up? Anyway, I have decided to start with a 2 stroke kit.

Anyway, getting the bike later today, so I will begin to have an idea if the frame looks sturdy enough.

Anyway, hello forum.

Welcome to the club. It's a good thing your mechanically inclined,it si a bear trying to help people who don't have any mechanical knowledge.

I've heard people like the pk80. I've also heard Raleigh bikes are good. Another of people's issues with setting up a 4-stroke is the fitment and the transmissions.

I like sharing these videos with new riders, Be sure to watch all 3 parts. Being a good MB'er starts with being a good cyclist first.

Another thing is from a distance you look like a pedal only bicycle. Vehicles will pull out in front of you thinking you're going slower than you are.

I've had people pull out in front of me within 20ft of the turn and I've had to bail to the shoulder to keep from hitting them. They very well could see I was riding a motorized bike, they likely assumed I couldn't go that fast

Welcome to the club. It's a good thing your mechanically inclined,it si a bear trying to help people who don't have any mechanical knowledge.

I've heard people like the pk80. I've also heard Raleigh bikes are good. Another of people's issues with setting up a 4-stroke is the fitment and the transmissions.
Yes, my research indicates, for it's price it's pretty good, but the seller is hard to contact. Everything I see seems to suggest either this, or the "zeda", are among the best affordable starter kits.

I love upgrades though, so I expect once I have more money, this might evolve into a Minelli hybrid, lol, already dreaming!

The one upgrade right away I may be looking for is an expansion pipe, not too spendy or hard to fit, but that makes a performance difference if anyone has any advice? I hear the stock muffle really limits the performance some?

I've had people pull out in front of me within 20ft of the turn and I've had to bail to the shoulder to keep from hitting them. They very well could see I was riding a motorized bike, they likely assumed I couldn't go that fast
You have to remember people don't always see what they think they see. Their minds make them see what they're familiar with. Magicians use this when performing illusionary magic tricks.

OK, well not a Raleigh but a Peugeot, but this is the rust bucket. Amazingly the brake cables work, but both shifters, the rear tube and the chain need replaced. So in all probably a total $30 investment aside from time. Same I would have paid for this other bike I might have bought online, and that was just a Walmart Roadmaster.

20230731_202857.jpg

It is a steel frame, yet very light. I bet it's not more than 30# total. One of the pedals was seized, but a little liquid wrench has freed it.

The seat needs a springer since it's a rigid. IDK how good shock seat posts are, but I'm considering trying one too. I also may swap the forks for some shock forks.

In all I think it will serve. Definitely would love any advice anyone has?

Welcome to the forum. I must congratulate you on your grammar in the 1st post, easy to read. Are you aware of the laws regarding motored bikes in WA? Just curious, in the past it's been an issue with some riders. WA is very restrictive. It's a fun hobby, hope you have success.

Back