Help Removing Small Gear in Clutch

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by Maritimerider, May 10, 2008.

1. Maritimerider

Maritimerider New Member

I have been trying to remove the small gear on the right side of my 80cc Motor,I have the bolt out but the actually gear wont budge. Im replacing it so Ive tried pliers and nothing. Ive search and maybe not in the right places. If someone could tell me how that would be great. Like I said im replacing it so anything to get it out will help. If someone could post a link to a step by step tear down of that clutch side would be helpfull.

2. MacTac

MacTac Banned

By LOOKING at the bottom of this page,,, you can see some great advice! The search feature will also bring up these posts! They even have video's to help ya.

3. Maritimerider

Maritimerider New Member

Thats my problem. Ive search everywhere and unless im searching the wrong place then thats why im asking for help. I know not to post without searching. All I need is someone to point me in the right direction.

4. MacTac

MacTac Banned

So yeah,,, scroll way down,,,, all the way down, to the bottom of this page and look at the threads listed there. I believe your answers are there.

By looking at the threads and vids, it appears that after removing the bolt, you can just gently pry the gear off!

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  5. Maritimerider

Maritimerider New Member

ok well the threads below didnt seem to be much help. Where are these videos you speak of? and the gear will not come off. I bent 2 screwdrivers trying to "Gently" pry it off. Some help would be great because the below doesnt help and searching, Im not just finding anything.

6. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

7. fatboy67

fatboy67 Member

I have taken mine off I was lucky mine came off easy, but I think if you look inside of that little screw gear( the one you want to take off) I think it has thread in it so you might be able to screw the black pully tool into it and use that.
    Have you used that tool before??? If you have taken you flywheel of then you would have used it.

8. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

Maritimerider...you have my deepest sympathy. The posts and links are for the way it is SUPPOSED to come off. Unfortunately for me, and you apparently, nothing works the way it is supposed to. A while back I was disassembling a *retired* Happy Time, and ran into your situation. It literally stripped the threads off the puller. What worked for me is I used another puller to tension the gear, heated the gear (not too the point of smoking...there is a seal behind it) and rapped on the puller with a hammer. Then tighten the puller, more heat, another rap etc etc. By the time I got that *%&^$##%$%&%$$ gear off, doors were being slammed shut, mothers were covering their childrens ears, and my dog bit me. Breathe...breathe...pleasant thoughts. Apparently, what happened is the woodruff key (that little thing half in the shaft and half in the gear) was in the process of shearing, and needed s bit of persuasion. Hope this helps.

Denny

9. adamtheha

adamtheha Member

I have searched and searched, and I'm at my wit's end. Is there a way to get the small cog off without using a gear puller? I bought a centrifugal clutch that was supposed to have one inside, and didn't, and now I'm stuck.
    Also, how do I get the 13/16 nut off the clutch flywheel? My impact sockets don't reach in there, and the only way that I'm going to be able to shake the sucker loose seems to be impact tools!

10. Ghost0

Ghost0 Guest

The puller tool that comes with the kit will remove it. It is a funny looking thing with lots of threads of different sizes. Here is a picture.

Attached Files:

11. adamtheha

adamtheha Member

Yeah, I didn't get one. None of my kits come with that tool for some reason. The clutch kit was supposed to have one and didn't. Is there a way to do this without the tool?

12. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

13. adamtheha

adamtheha Member

K. I'm going to have to bug this guy for a tool, since it didn't come with the kit as promised.

14. fatboy67

fatboy67 Member

Hey Adamtheha you may have more troubles getting it back on. I took my flywheel off and on EASY, BUT the little drive grear came off easy but it's been a pain getting it back on, WELL may be your old one will go on easy but I brought a NEW one and it just didn't want to go back on and I ended up cracking it. They have a very thin wall were the woodruff key goes. Any way I posted some pics on how to use that tool and how to get you flywheel off, and if your old drive gear isn't broke then it will go back on easy. With that tool it's easy.
    I'll try find my old post.

15. fatboy67

fatboy67 Member

16. fatboy67

fatboy67 Member

Hey I forgot to say the small drive gear comes off the same as the fly wheel.
    You can see it's got I thread inside of it

17. adamtheha

adamtheha Member

18. fatboy67

fatboy67 Member

If your not putting it back on

**** man if you are not worried about putting the drive gear back on don't worry about that special tool just get a good pair of vice grips. What will happan is when you lock onto it and rock it back and forth if it doesn't come off it will crack and fall off. The presure of the vice grips will be enough to crack it. it's only cast, hard cast and it's very brittle. Like you said you are not interested in keeping your old drive gear,,your NEW clutch setup has it's own drive gear.

19. adamtheha

adamtheha Member

I still have to press the new one onto the shaft. Does the gear puller do that too? I don't mind breaking the cog, but would it work if I heated it up first?

20. fatboy67

fatboy67 Member

Not that I can see it does not. I tried fitting a new one to mine and it cracked as it was to tight.