Help, will not start

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by whowhere, Jul 27, 2008.

1. whowhere

whowhere New Member

Hi all,

I am having trouble getting my chinese two stroke 80cc to start. I tested the compression and I am reading about 80lbs does this sound about right? I tested for a spark by touching the plug to the cylinder. There is a spark but still not working. Could it be my carburator? If so, what can I do to the carburator?

2. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

You might want to check to see if you are getting gas -- pull the plug and put a small amount of gas in.. Does it fire a little ? Your compression doesn't sound too low - but - I am guessing something around 110 would be better ??? Mountainman

3. whowhere

whowhere New Member

It looks like it was getting gas, as gas was dripping out the exhaust pipe. I am thinking I may getting to much gas and not enough air.

4. BSA

BSA Guest

Is your CDI wired in and wired in correctly? Sounds like an electrical to me.

BSA

5. alex

alex Guest

Check to see if there are any major blockages in your carb/manifold or exhaust pipe. Does it at least try to fire?

And if it's trying to fire, it would probably be the cdi, like BSA said.

6. whowhere

whowhere New Member

It does try to fire. I do the spark test, and there is a spark. If I am getting a spark, cdi should be good?????

7. Madwack

Madwack Member

Try this ..unhook yer killswitch and by pass that.....i screwed with my bike fer 2 days before trying this..BINGO..now i turn engine off via the choke

Maddy

the problem with some kill switchs is the spring inside..its weak..so after a few press's....it just stays in the kill poition...there by killing the engine before it even starts

GL

also i was getting a spark.....but once the bike bounces ..rumbles...whatever....the kill switch would still kill it

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  8. whowhere

whowhere New Member

Actually, disconnected that switch long ago. Still problems. I am measuring 353 ohms across the Magneto coil.

Does that sound about right to anyone?

9. whowhere

whowhere New Member

I have discovered a problem!!

Whether it is theee problem I do not know.

After looking at the magneto and such, the key fell off the shaft. On closer look at the shaft key, it is so short that the magneto was probably slipping on the shaft. I have a farm surplus store that probabably sells, makes these keys. I'll get a new one, and cross my fingers:)

10. Madwack

Madwack Member

WHAT!!!! wait NO that cant be..I AM ALWAYS RIGHT !!!!

LOLz

Maddy

11. whowhere

whowhere New Member

Bittersweet Success!!

Well because of my discovery of the shaft key being to short has paved the way to running motor:grin: However, this has come with some butchering of my motor: scrapes, chips, scratches, discoloration, you name it. I have given this motor a whipping. I am not sure how this will affect the break in given the trauma this motor has been through.

Now that I have had several runs, I will go about implementing the recommendations on this forum to hopefully make it reliable.::)

12. whowhere

whowhere New Member

DEAD AGAIN!! - Slipping clutch

I went for a 5 km run which included a big hill. Maybe not such a good idea when breaking in the motor. Because of the Hill, the clutch started to slip. After getting back to the house, I shut it the motor off to adjust the clutch and tried to restart the bike. I think the motor was so hot that it softened the rubber used for the clutch as this rubber wasn't gripping the motor to turn it over.

Anyone else have this problem? Is there any other material that can be used in place of this rubber?