here it is! 52 j.c. higgins

what do ya think of this one for a motored bike! ive been holdin out for this baby & finally got it! its the bees knees!!:D:D

Attachments

• IMG_1417.JPG
    IMG_1417.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 1,377
  • IMG_1418.JPG
    IMG_1418.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 1,027
i had a j.c. higgins in 1954 brand new ,, the main reason why i got that one is that when you order from the catalog you could pay monthly if you had a paper route ,,it was about $4.50 a month ,, total price was $54.95 allot of money back then ,, i remember that it was very easy to peddle ,, at that time the CCM was the top of the line bike but it was geared higher that made it hard to peddle ,,
i had to wait about 3 weeks for the j.c. higgins to arrive ,but i checked ever day with the post office after the first week ,,it was a long wait,,,, but the day it arrived i will never forget ,,just bolt on the fount wheel and 2 peddles and it was ready to go ,,it was a great bike and got many years riding ,, tires and tubs were well made back then .not like some of the **** you get today ,i don"t even think i had one flat

i often wonder what happen to the co. that made these bikes ?? they just seem to disappear
japat

J.C. Higgins: 1908-1964

Many people ask if there was a real "J.C. Higgins" who worked for Sears. There certainly was. John Higgins began working for Sears in 1898 as the manager of the headquarters' office bookkeepers and retired as company comptroller in 1930.
"John Higgins" the employee became "J.C. Higgins" the brand name during a discussion in 1908 among Sears' executives of possible names for a new line of sporting goods. At this point, the story gets a bit murky, but Higgins' name was suggested and John Higgins consented to Sears use his name. Since he did not have a middle initial, Sears added the "C."

In 1908, the Western Sporting Goods Company in Chicago began putting J.C. Higgins on baseballs and baseball gloves sold in Sears catalogs. By 1910, the J.C. Higgins trademark was extended to cover footballs and basketballs. Later, the popularity of the Higgins brand—combined with the wider participation of American youth in sports—led Sears to place tennis equipment, soccer balls, volleyballs, boxing equipment and baseball uniforms in the J.C. Higgins line.

By the 1940s, J.C. Higgins represented all Sears fishing, boating and camping equipment. After the Second World War, Sears consolidated all sporting goods under the J.C. Higgins brand name and added it to a line of luggage.

The J.C. Higgins brand disappeared shortly after Sears introduced the Ted Williams brand of sporting and recreation goods in 1961.

Doc

the shiznit!

thats what im talking about! the nastalga & history of the first motored bikes , later motorcycles. ive built rode & raced motorcycles all my life. i cant believe im getting all mushy & goofy over a bicycle! now i know how gramps felt! this is where i belong now! back to my roots!! its all so cool!:cool::cool:

oops !

i forgot to post the pic of gramps on his motored bike-datus perry!

Attachments

• IMG_1478.JPG
    IMG_1478.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 261
Grandpa on his Motorcycle!

Hi Wavy, that bike looks suspiciously like an Indian Single, the Magneto version, not the battery ignition. Apparently around a 1909 model. The car in the background looks 28-32, Hubcaps too large to be a Ford, tho Louis Chevrolet used large caps along with many others, I cannot figure what part of the country this is, but the guys that built that brick building were NOT high class masons, looks more like some Farmers, or townspeoples work, UNLESS the building was old enuf that it was just sloppily re-mortared.

What do you know about this pic? He looks to be less than 20 yo, and the High boots, and checkered shirt would mean a working-class guy (looks like he's torn that shirt a bit?).

A very cool pic! Thanks for sharing,

Mike

Wow that's almost surreal, what a cool picture. It's hard to believe a few months ago I didn't care about bikes or their history. The originals are classics and amazing. While riding my MB the otherday I met a guy with an original Schwinn Corvette in good condition. All I could do was drool.
Thanks for the history lesson and the trip down memory lane.

Man Mike,
You been watching way too much CSI or Munk on tv. Your good though!
Doc

yes that is a 1909 indian! in washougal washington. gramps was a direct decendant of oliver hazzard perry admiral, who beat the brittish on the great lakes in 1812. coined the phrase -dont give up the ship- . also relative was mathew perry who discoverd & opend trade with japan!ill dig up my family motorcycle pics & send the generations of bikers! im at work now! dang it

Back