HF 4 hp on clearence for $99.87

Discussion in 'Spare Parts, Tools & Product Developement' started by breaksalltherules, Jan 27, 2010.

1. loquin

loquin Active Member

Yes, but, it's a vertical shaft engine. Good for a lawn mower, not so good for a motorized bike...

2. atombikes

atombikes Member

3. ocscully

ocscully Member

4. atombikes

atombikes Member

5. Oh you're right. Anybody need to fix a lawnmower? haha

6. loquin

loquin Active Member

If the item already uses a coupon to get the price, you can't use the one-item 20% off coupon on it. If the item is just 'on sale,' the 20% coupon can be used. There's fine print about this point on the 20% off coupon.

7. atombikes

atombikes Member

OK, so if I understand this correctly, then the coupon should apply? Because from the above link it just looks like the engine will be on sale, with no associated coupon. That seems like a smokin' deal.

Of course, there are problems associated with putting 6.5 HP thru bicycle components, I assume. Braking can be handled by disc brakes, but what about drivetrain stresses (chain, sprockets, wheel spokes, etc)? And then I guess there is the issue regarding legality. I think the 79cc HF engine is close enough to 50cc that it might fly under the radar, but 6.5HP??? That engine looks huge.

8. aometaloedge

aometaloedge New Member

O.k. So this is the most awesome thing I have seen! I wonder how durable it is? it's going on my full suspension M/B to be taken off road. The horizontal shaft four stroke for $90 from H/F that is.

9. professor

professor Active Member

Ao, are you thinking of the 6.5hp? It is big- real big for a bike. I have the 2.5hp and it is real nice, but still needed the pedal crank widened.

10. motor_head

motor_head Member

has anyone ever converted a ohv vert shaft engine to horisontal, i've seen it done to flatheads all you have to do is fab up a dipper and mount, but i don't know if enough oil would get up to the valves in an ohv

i'll ask in another forum and get back

11. motor_head

motor_head Member

you can mount them horisontaly and all you have to do is make a dipper and mount them so the cylinder is on an angle similar to other ohv motors

12. Wheres my dog

Wheres my dog Banned

Not so easily done...

What about the carb and the float bowl being turned sideways???

13. motor_head

motor_head Member

well obviosly you have to remount the carb all you have to do is take a short piece of pipe and weld some flanges on each side so the holes are 90* from each other, i was focusing on the oiling aspect since getting oil up to the valves could be a problem

14. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

Wow, that'll be a beast! I would think you'll need to seriously upgrade your spokes (especially on the drive wheel) as I know one person who twisted the standard 14ga spokes right out of the wheel with the 79cc 2.5hp HF engine. My brother and I built a bike with the 79cc HF engine and we're using 12ga spokes. If you're seriously thinking of the 6.5hp, you might want to have a set of Worksman rims with 11ga spokes made for the bike.