Crashes Hit by a car while riding

Don't forget tie wraps, duct tape and baling wire. I have 15 feet of nylon flat "rope" wrapped tightly around my rack mounts. Besides securing the rack, it helps to tie the bike up, so it doesn't fall in high winds. When stranded, it'll be my tow rope. You can also use this rope to hang your bike from a tree branch, when doing repairs. Staton-mounted bikes are so tail heavy. It must be a bear fixing/ replacing rear tire/tube.

I liked your youtube videos.

We'll be praying for you, Will and your buddy Matt.

I'll say it, not you. How do I donate $$ to your cause?

Last edited:
I will certainly follow the bailing wire suggestion, thanks. I've got some 1/4" yellow Amsteel that has a crazy 8,500 lbs working load that I carry for a tow rope so I'll check into the UV resistance of it and maybe use it to secure the rack.

I have a Crow Cycles all metal bi-pod kick stand that is a HUGE help when changing tires and truing wheels!

Matt isn't ridding with me anymore, he only made it a week or so. I've been solo the rest of the way.

Thanks so much for the kind words and prays. They are certainly needed!

I currently have an Indiegogo crowdfunding project running http://igg.me/at/thirstybike/x/2915657

It has about two days left then I'll just keep a static Paypal donate button on the website. Thanks for mentioning that.

Strange that your cylinder head would fail twice at the exhaust flange. Maybe vibration is loosening the exhaust bolt. Perhaps you should "wirewrap" the muffler bolts together.

Gears

What's your gearing like, your engine gear ratios and your pedalling ratios? I was worried when you could not pedal up that steep hill when the Staton drive train broke. You might come across that same situation on your trek.

I am probably at least partially to blame for the the exhaust mount failure. It was an ADA racing Stalker exhaust and I should have made a mount to support the bottom like the stock Tanaka exhaust. It weighs a little less than the stock but with the vibration, it was probably just a recipe for disaster.

I am running a Super Titan now. So much quieter! I am running a piece of hi temp silicone tubing off of the muffler and now the intake is louder than the exhaust.

The reason I couldn't peddle that hill was I was pulling so much weight. After testing gear along my route and seeing what I really need and don't need, I have cut the weight in my trailer by more than half. I have a 9 speed with gears so low I don't even use them. Just peddling, I dip into the lower gears but still have more than I need.

I had some alignment issues starting out the where compounded by the large amount of weight I was pulling and led to that sprocket and chain breaking. Lesson learned though because now I make sure to use a straight edge to line up sprockets if I ever have to change a mount.

Good troubleshooting, Will. I've mounting expansion pipes without rear support too. The pipes cracked and the flanges wore out.

Thanks for the tip about the straight edge.

Wear a helmet! SO true a helmwnt saved me

Thankfully I was wearing a full face helmet. Otherwise my injuries would have been more severe. Wear a helmet!

Wear a helmet!
I agree.

I'm thankful I've never hit anything but, I was riding along and a Lug Nut and the Wheel Stem snapped off an 18 Wheeler's Truck tire and hit me in the back of the head hard enough that I has to pull over because I though I was going to pass out.
It took 15-20 minutes before I could ride again, if I was not wearing a helmet, I thank it would of killed me, or made me wish I was dead LOL
check out the dent.
The good new American Helmet replaced it free of charge said it should of withstood the hit better then that.
To this day don't know how they found out about it, I never called and or complained, I only posted it here and on facebook, but was not going to turn down a free helmet as so happy I forgot to ask
DentedHelmet_zps1699bf7d.jpg

Back