Homemade 4-Stroke Single

Dave, cool hit n miss motor! Keep us posted on your progress on your 4-stroke motor. I'm going to be taking a Briggs and do some cosmetic work to make it look a bit more "palatable". Have you seen a copy of "Motor Bicycle Building" by Paul N. Hasluck? It's old but has some great info about building these motors. Another interesting one is "Motor Cars and the application of Mechanical Power to Road Vehicles" by Rhys Jenkins.

happycheapskate,

No, the guy who is responsible for this is the same who is responsible for the fastest 50cc streamliner (turbocharged) in the world (and lately the fastest 100cc and 125cc, as well). He also recently completed a 2-stroke Maytag motored bicycle. He has built a steam powered bicycle as well as a steam powered scooter. He races vintage racecars and is a skilled fabricator specializing in vintage race cars. His name is John Buddenbaum.

I have an Idea for an engine I think would need no welding if done proper. It uses flat 1/4 plate aluminum for the sides and 8" alu pipe for the case. A block that the cylinder attaches to, turned alu to hold the main bearings and it is all held together with the case bolts. I have an old cylinder off of an old compressor and I would have to make a head. I will put a quick sketch of the idea, let me know what you think. Have fun, Dave

Attachments

• PICT0809.jpg
    PICT0809.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 499
Dave, what a great idea! Still needs at least a one-lobe camshaft, but that is **** clever. My shop unfortunately has mostly wood tools (no mill or metal lathe) but I've got a drill press and bandsaw so with just a bit of metal machining, that engine case design looks like a winner. I know that for lubrication, John had planned on just hand lubricating the exposed rocker assembly. His inside-crankcase-to-outside-crankshaft clearance (at the outer edge) is about 1/2" and he fills the crankase up just enough to sling the oil around. Just be sure to include some sort of oil filler arrangement since if you leave that out you have to take off the cyclinder for access (don't ask how I know that). Do you think that the compressor cyclinder is strong enough? (I have an old one of those, too) Way to go, Dave!

Thanks for the accolade this has been in the works for a long time. The engine is the big deal it has to sound and look the era. I got to ride a Pierce Arrow single 30 years ago, you never get over a thing like that. The owner assured me that he would be able to help me put one together but I lost contact with him. So now I will have to build one. I have an idea for the wheels and the frame. Just make it or buy from something else. I need to see if you can buy any of the parts from the timelessmotorcompany.com will sell any of the rear drive sheve's. Have fun, Dave

Back