Honda GX35: How to remove clutch shoes?

Discussion in '4-Stroke Engines' started by hellbent, Apr 27, 2014.

1. hellbent

hellbent New Member

Hi.

How do I remove clutch shoes on Honda CX35 engine? Is it safe to stop piston using a rope? Wouldn't it damage the valves?

2. Old Bob

Old Bob Member

I wouldn't use a piston stopper or any other method to lock piston on any engine. They can result in damage to the crankshaft, piston etc.
    The safest way is to use an oil filter wrench (band type) to grasp the clutch shoes to loosen the bolts.A clean wrench mind you.

3. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

If the clutch pads are worn out it's cheaper to just buy a whole new clutch with all new hardware vs new pads and springs. Those 3 bolts holding the pads on will come off easily, use a ratchet and smack the end of it sharply with a hammer. The quick sudden force is what unlocks them w/o turning the crank.

4. Old Bob

Old Bob Member

But you still have to remove shoes from the flywheel.

bb88flywheelremove1.jpg

5. rawly old

rawly old Member

A picture worth a thousand words, Bob, thanks. Ive been doing it the hard way.

6. Old Bob

Old Bob Member

You are welcome.

7. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

I was thinking of a 3 shoe clutch, Bob's spot on, great advice.

8. rawly old

rawly old Member

Well.... I've just had occasion to try the filter wrench thing.
    His wrench must be for a different make of car. Mine was just
    too big, & wouldn't close on the clutch. Oh well.

9. Old Bob

Old Bob Member

Yeah there are large and small filters. I service a lot of different size engines,so have a lot of tools at my disposal.
    A strap wrench would work too, I've just had too many customers break off fins with screw drivers and risking damage to the piston,vales and crank is not worth it.

10. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

3 shoe clutch in my opinion is way better than 2 shoe OP.

11. rawly old

rawly old Member

No worry, Bob; just wish it had worked. I'll havta hunt up a smaller
    filter wrench.

12. csm

csm New Member

I have a Golden E. M.B. the way I have stopped the brake shoes from turning while turning on the brake shoe nut was to screw the 4 screws that mount the
    gear case back in the same mounting holes until they are " just" snug press against the outer edge of the fan. I have used this method couple time and was successful.