Crashes How safe is your ride, when parked?

Discussion in 'Travelling, Commuting & Safety' started by SimpleSimon, Jul 13, 2010.

1. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Seems a silly question, doesn't it?

It isn't. I was in the hospital 11 days, and I really wondered if my trike would still be here when I got home. It was, totally untouched - I have some GREAT neighbors who looked after my place while I was gone.

So today I rode it down to the Comcast office to pay my cable internet bill. Locked it in the bike rack, went inside. I was at the tellers window paying the bill when a guy came in and asked, "Hey, who owns that bike out there?"

I looked over my shoulder and said it was mine, and he said, "Well, somebody just backed over it with a big pickup and roared out of the lot!" Talk about a sinking feeling - I went out, and found the right rear wheel taco'd over the axle mount, the trike conversion rear axle mount bent and the engine frame shoved into the engine hard enough to break off both motor mounts, the exhaust header, and most of the cooling fins on one side of the jug.

Right now it looks like a write off. The guy who saw it happen said the tailgate on the pickup was down and he couldn't get a license plate number. All he knew was it was a late 80's chevy 4 x 4, mostly black. I called the cops, he stayed and gave the cops a statement, then I sat there just looking at it while I waited for a friend with a pickup to come get me and the wreck.

Just got home a few minutes ago. I'm back to square one on my MB experience - no ride. Not sure what I'm gonna do at this point - medical bills are such that buying another engine is not an option, and as twisted as that frame now is I doubt I can straighten it well enough to ever be ridable.

So, I guess the lesson is - be careful where you park.

2. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

WOW!! I truly feel for you and hope that the guy is caught.
  3. MrShorty

MrShorty Member

That really suck's! Sorry to hear that!
  4. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

Not a good thing to happen...put the medical bills on hold..get another motor and the parts for another is short
  5. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

This news just sent chills down my spine.
    I am sooo sorry to hear it! I agree with Turtle Tedd. Riding is medicine for the soul.
  6. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

i'm tempted, believe me. Unfortunately, I am now going to a wound care clinic three times a week. While the clinic charges are covered by insurance, mostly, I have a $25/visit co-pay that has to be paid up front before I ever get past the waiting room.

I cannot twist my foot around far enough to see the abscess, I cannot feel my feet, and my fingertips have lost so much sensation that I cannot even really explore it with my fingers, not too mention not being able to do an adequate job of treating and bandaging the wound. So, it'll be a while at least.
  7. RedBaronX

RedBaronX Member

occurrences like this are the downside of not having to register/insure a MB (or, not being ABLE to register and insure...) ... if that had been a fully insured car or motorcycle, you would have been able to collect on a hit and run
  8. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

SS yea its best to get that healed up so the infection dosent seems the way to go for now and take it easy for a while..
  9. GearNut

GearNut Active Member

An abscess in your foot!?!? YIKES!This definitely changes my outlook on the situation too!
    Take care of yourself, having no foot is worse than no MB.
  10. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

Simon, you have a PM
  11. AussieSteve

AussieSteve Active Member

Simon, I'm really sorry to hear this. Love to get hold of the p.... who ran over your bike.
    I agree with Tedd - take it easy for the moment, get well and then think about bikes. I'm sure it'll all come together and you'll be back riding in no time.
  12. kerf

kerf Guest

Sorry to hear of your misfortune Simon, sounds like things really stink right now but don't give up the ship, things have a way of working out. Any businesses around where you were parked have outside security cameras? Worth a try. I wish I could say that this instance of lack of personal responsibility on someones part was an aberration but epidemic fits much better.

The person that did this is rotten to the core, completely worthless as a human being and a plague on humanity.
  13. RedBaronX

RedBaronX Member

I witnessed a hit and run once-- moving car vs. parked car. It was 3:00 am, the moving car didn't even slow down after hitting the parked car; ripped off the front bumper, the driver-side mirror, and dented the **** out of the side... I called the police right away, but I don't know if they did anything about it, but I left a note on the victim's car saying that I witnessed the hit and run, so I would be happy to witness to his insurance company about the accident.

I never heard from him, so either his insurance didn't need me, or he didn't have insurance at all anyway.

But I did what I could.
  14. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

15. plinko

plinko Banned

Simon,I know we have differences and don't see eye to eye.But I am truly sorry for your experience.Seems like you had some crazy luck over the years.We may have more In common than what I thought.I am so sorry about your trike.Dang,This Got me feeling bad down to my soul.I don't have any bikes or engines right now.But,If I luck out I'll send you a pm and ship It. I'll check with a couple of friends on here and see If anyone can help.
  16. augidog

augidog Banned

Simon, this breaks my heart for you.

if you're willing to let us try to help, please feel comfortable enuff to let us know how :cool2:
  17. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Darn. I'm really sorry to hear about this. I hope it all works out.