Huangshen 142 F

Dangerous fender alert

Hello FireBelly, i clicked on your link, and saw a cantilever bike with a HighWheel Saddle on a setback post, I'm thinking this is your bike?

In over 9 years of doing Motor Bicycles I've seen, and known a lot of people and a lot of bikes.

The front fender that is held on by rear stay, and little tab in front is absolutely dangerous. When the little tab cracks (not IF, When), the fender will roll forward, locking the front wheel. At this instant the rider will be faceplanted into the roadway, not launched, but a "Mousetrap" action where the rider is violently slammed into the road, face first.

I am personnally aware of Steve Miller, Cliff (a local), Carl Newell (now deceased), Tim (another local), and a few from these sites who have had this experiance. I had suck a bike, and when it sold, the fender stayed here, I would not risk that the customer might re-install it (wifey took it off of that bike, while it was here).

Cliff told me that he was found on the road, out cold, in a pool of blood, and woke up in a Hospital, this was last year.

Well at least I've warned you, and any others who may read this post.

I'm very happy that you were able to fix your HS easily. I have kind of a "vested interest" in what happens with that particular engine as we have plans for it.

Be careful,

Mike

I'm aware of the fender problem, thanks! Good looking out!
That's an old pic of my original build, I don't have a front mounted but if I do it'll be safe.
I just love the 4 stroke, I'm tearing it down right now for paint and recon.

Back