Huge Problem with front Engine mount...

unfortuantly, I cant drill and tap because theres really no parent metal left....when the bolts sheered off it broke large sections of female end the bolt screws into off with it : / I thought if I put JB Weld in and drilled and taped that it would be fine....sadly, the JB Weld pulls right out when I bolt the mounting plate on. Any ideas? or is this thing scrap metal?

bummer johnny... hope you can salvage something out of all this. What a drag man. My heart goes out to you.

Just a lesson to be learned crabdance, these engines aren't built to the highest standards, no matter who your vendor is...all made in China....

I see, johnny. Yea, they are all made in China all right. I just don't want something like that to happen to ME!!!... ouch that must hurt. Have you decided what you are going to do? I hope that you get something out of the old one even if it's just parts. Maybe you can get you a new one and it will be better. My engine will be here in 2 more days and I'm terrified that something may happen to it because I have to put it together and I don't trust myself :).

hmm I'll probably order a new one, I've give the JB Weld one last shot and if it doesnt hold this time, the heck with it.

The best advice i can give you is, go slow, make sure everything fits without having to "macgyver" anything, and ask questions. It can take you 2 weeks to put one together like this, but in the end, nothing will fall off : )

Thanks johnny... don't worry about me asking questions... I will probably start my own build thread. I will need all the help I can get. Good luck with the JB weld. I will keep my fingers crossed.

dude....was it the vice grips? JK...so sorry to hear all this went down. Just glad you did not get seriousy injured.

Ok heres some pics of my not so well engineered fix, dont laugh to hard at my bush mechanics lmao, ok mine has never actually pulled the threads completely out, they are not real good to start with and from the first "fit up" I chased the threads and replaced the studs with M6 grade 8 socket head set screws.
This bike does around 250 km a week and once I got stuck, pedaling it 20 km holding the clutch in and the extra weight sux, so I check everything when I get home from work and refuel, I have had the motor out a few times, (high maintanence of the whole bike keeps it going and reliable), and the mount threads where getting close to pulling so I jumped the gun and did this before they did.
First I choped of the lump where the magneto wires come through and filled the hole, then redrilled almost at the bottom to reroute the wires.
I then choped of the front mount so it was flat and drilled 3 6.5mm holes from top to bottom.
Hopefully the pictures tell the story, I'm finding it hard to put into words, lol.
Anyway I dont have time to make this bike or the things I have made for it look good, I make it work and keep it reliable and its paid for it self over and over.
Cheers Phil...

Attachments

• IMG_0112.jpg
    IMG_0112.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_0113.jpg
    IMG_0113.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_0114.jpg
    IMG_0114.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_0116.jpg
    IMG_0116.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
Oh I forgot to add that on the rear mount pad there is just enough meat for M8's, but I am working on another way to mount it at the moment.
I know from what I have seen on this forum some of you guys do some killer work, there is enough meat on the front mount to do what I have done and its as solid as now, I'm sure somone here could perfect it.

Phil..

Back