Huge Problem with front Engine mount...

Phil McCracken's way works Johnny but I seriously reckon my method is best for front mount. Forget M8s cos there ain't room up front. M7s are as rare as hen's teeth and are probably too big also. How about taking it to a workshop that does alloy and let them fix it with a few drops of alloy down the stripped thread holes and then retap for M6. I've had welding done on these engines and that worked pretty good so if they feel the casing needs strengthening they could put some more welding around any weak spot. I really think it's no big deal for an alloy welder to fix this so it can hold the original bolts.

Hope that works for johnny. I don't want him to have to scrap his motor. Maybe he can do that and get back on the road again where we all belong. Thanks for the info John. Hope that helps him out.

Well I won't be able to weld the block to my bike directly because the two metals are different, and I think if I went to an alloy welder the labor would be more expensive than just buying another engine block.

bummer johnny... wish you the best of luck. Guess you might as well get a new engine and start all over. I wish it could have been something that could be fixed though.

Well I won't be able to weld the block to my bike directly because the two metals are different, and I think if I went to an alloy welder the labor would be more expensive than just buying another engine block.

A welding job takes a couple of minutes. To do what I was recommending and put metal back into the stripped holes is a piece of cake. Some welders wouldn't charge anything if you had the engine in your hands and their welder was alreadt up and working. You need some metal to drill back into and tap. It's not such a big deal. Have you got close up pictures of the holes?

Yes as a matter of fact. I sent some to Duane to see what he could recommend as well.

Attachments

• DSC02180.JPG
    DSC02180.JPG
    394.3 KB · Views: 282
  • DSC02181.JPG
    DSC02181.JPG
    321.7 KB · Views: 232
  • DSC02182.JPG
    DSC02182.JPG
    428.8 KB · Views: 224
  • DSC02183.JPG
    DSC02183.JPG
    374.8 KB · Views: 226
  • DSC02184.JPG
    DSC02184.JPG
    363.8 KB · Views: 217
I tried filling the holes with JB Weld and retapping them, but when I rode the bike the JB Weld popped right out. So I said the heck with it and put the putty directly on the frame and the engine. This held for a longer amount of time, but the vibes eventually knocked it off as well.

Last edited:
From watching the video the repair would be simple...
1) Clean the wound...
2) Screw your mount stud in as far as it will go and braze the aluminum repair material over it
3) Let cool
4) Ride!

Back