Hybrid problem

The only problem I see with a mid drive motor and a shifter kit gas engine is the chain ring needing two freewheel.
I will be finding out in the near future.
Please share your build

Rex, I just put together a 48cc shifter as the basis for the hybrid. I have a motor to mount ahead of the pedal stem, a freewheel on the motor and room to mount another sprocket on the shifter pedal shaft if I have to. Ideally the 36v electric motor will start the gas motor when the clutch is released. Too much drag on the motor to use for charging. Do not have charging figured out yet and lots of mechanical to do yet. This project is getting heavy fast. Shifter jackshaft frame is 1/4" steel and sprockets are solid. Thank goodness I have LiFe batteries and not Lead Acid. Putting miles on the shifter working bugs out so far. Need to build a pipe to make room for a motor. I'll have another camera soon and post picts when I can.

My freewheel is a 16t freewheel sprocket threaded onto a pedal with the sprockets bolted to it. I have an idea for an adaptor with a bearing taking some of the load off the freewheel.

Switched to 1/2" x 1/8" BMX chain on both bikes. DO IT! Smoother and quieter. So far 50 kms on the shifter and 100+ on the single speed. No chain stretch yet with the GIANT brand (good quality) BMX chain.

Steve

So do shifters not freewheel? I didn't know that:D
Learn something new everyday

You have to put a freewheel in the pedals, or the motor will overpower your feet. My right peal crank is threaded for a 16t rear BMX style freewheel and the motor and drive sprockets are bolted to it. Cannot coast and bump start. Have to kick start with the pedals. Takes a bit of a knack. I have to agree with Jag that a well build single speed is quite competitive with a non-refined shifter.

Steve

Nice glad to hear you are making progress. And got it going . I'd like to see some pictures. And more about dual freewheel and triple chain ring.
Yeah starting the engine takes a little practice. I sometimes start it before I take off . Kick it over while on the center stand.

Back