I Broke TWO Staton Friction Rollers!

I have not removed the clutch, but all of its parts are well within the bellhousing.

cpuaid, in a previous thread I described installing a GP460 engine with friction drive on my 21-speed Giant Rincon bike. The Staton 1.375" roller was my best compromise for street use. I had problems with the engine's low-end torque, so I'll use this as my commuter bike. Maybe with an 24-speed Diamondback bike I'll have more power at low speed.

The engine's powerband comes on very strong at 25mph and pulls easily to 45mph. Friction drive handles it easily because of the engine's lack of torque at the low end.

Tire engagement is critical. I've destroyed a good tire in 15 miles due to overengaging.:whistle:

Proper tire-to-roller contact and the correct tire is very important.

i had the problem of the bolt going thru the bell housing and hitting the flywheel.
you will have to take the bell housing off to see if the end of the bolts are going thru the bell housing and hitting the flywheel.or you can screw the bolt in and see how far it goes till the crank locks up.when the crank locks up,however much bolt is still sticking out is how much you have to grind off the bolt.

its worth a try.gl

All mounting bolts thread into the block; no flywheel on the clutch side.

So I removed the Mits engine and installed a 4.5hp GP460 engine. Four mounting bolts threaded easily into the block. A Staton 1.375" roller will be used, as this seems to be the best overall one for this engine.

I will make sure I fab a left-side rear strut.

We bought a friction drive kit from BGF.

There was a thick steel spacer for mounting the motor.

It was machined with a lip that fit tight into the motor so when it was bolted together the spacer was tight in the motor and could not move around.

It has a bearing on the other side of the spacer, press fit.

This bearing sticks out a little and also fits in tight with another bearing in a machined piece of steel welded to the channel.

So, it has 2 bearings on the motor side of the channel and one on the other side.

The motor is very much centered with the clutch drum.

The channel was steel and it was bent when we got it. The clutch drum was centered but was cocked.

Made a scraping noise and the motor would lock up if the fourth bolt was made tight.

Last edited:
The GP460 engine has been installed, this time with its stock muffler instead of expansion pipe. For rear struts I'm using two Staton's old-style single-action rear struts. The left-side is unmodified; the bottom part attaches to the rear disc brake mounting bolt. The right-side secures the roller engagement with lock nuts, simple L-bracket and threaded rod.

http://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=2675

I'm expecting 40+mph.:giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back