illegal to ride motorized bicycles in what states?

allow mc

HI,
Don't even try in NY.
Live 50 miles outside of city.
If you did you would not survive.Traffic crazy ,if you are in the way, you won't be for long! THKS RW:D

I live in Texas and our local sherriff says its ok, just dont travel on roads that the speed limit exceds 35mph, you can cross them but not travel down them.
Now that's just silly.... do they keep regular, pedal only bikes off higher speed roads, too? (yes, interstates are a no-no)

and the bike can't be over 50cc.
Guess it all depends on the officer that see's you riding !!!!!!
The Law in the book is so vauge and open to interpation...
Exactly!

I think I have the only M/B in town.
If more people get them the cops will ban them, Like they did the pocket bikes!!
so growth in the sport would be a death sentance for it.
in my area....banning the pocketbikes was a blessing. That got ALL the 10-14 year olds off the street.
As for our bikes.....It will be the 'bad apples' spoiling it, for the rest of us. (you know the ones....blowing thru stop signs....rippin up the sidewalks...riding like fools...etc)

I agree. Sometimes it's best to....
have the only M/B in town.
!
NOTE -- THREAD IS FOR LISTING OF KNOWN (((MB BANNED AREAS ONLY)))
Sorry......:whistle:

Last edited:
ding dong dang -- Mb riders

#1 -- As for our bikes.....It will be the 'bad apples' spoiling it, for the rest of us. (you know the ones....blowing thru stop signs....rippin up the sidewalks...riding like fools...etc)

#2 -- Sorry......:whistle:

#1 -- above -- there are a couple of MB riders down the mountain
I have not gotten a chance to talk with these guys
there is a hotel (stop sign in front)that I hang out at on occasion

these guys blow right through that stop sign
ding dong dang -- what's wrong with them
too much of that blowing through stops
gives us MBers a bad name..........

oh I forgot about the MBer I saw one day
riding right through the County Park next to Lindo Lake
looked to be -- full blast baby
sure I go though that park at times -- with motor off !!!

#2 -- above -- no big THING -- have a good day as we

ride those motor bike THINGS

Last edited:
A friend of mine got pulled over in the summer riding his Yamaha Zuma scooter it has a 50cc engine in it cause it looked like a motorcycle from behid he got pulled over with in a few hundred feet of his home. Now Connecticut dosen't require plates for anything under 50cc mind you he has a license for riding a motorcycle. But I think sometimes it's the cops discretion if they feel like pulling you over. Personally I am sure like everyone else here the laws are just stupid. Especially if you aren't riding like an idiot i mean go catch real criminals Don't bother us for trying to save gas and have some fun. Anyway that's just my two cents worth.

Any States Known That - DO NOT - Allow MBs ?
As far as I can tell... Illinois. Although they allow 'motorized pedacycles', they make it impossible to register a bicycle with an added motor, as you can't get DOT approved tires, and you can't get a VIN.

As far as I can tell... Illinois. Although they allow 'motorized pedacycles', they make it impossible to register a bicycle with an added motor, as you can't get DOT approved tires, and you can't get a VIN.

last I remember (Calif) not where you are loquin

my grandfather used to build home made street legal dune buggies
DMV would issue a new vin number for him
or he made up his own ?

DOT tires -- may be a up comming issue even in legal states someday
wonder if someone could get someone interested in making
some nice DOT motor bike tires ?

as we ride those things

last I remember (Calif) not where you are loquin

my grandfather used to build home made street legal dune buggies
DMV would issue a new vin number for him
or he made up his own ?

DOT tires -- may be a up comming issue even in legal states someday
wonder if someone could get someone interested in making
some nice DOT motor bike tires ?

as we ride those things
From posts on this site, as well as digging in the IL DMV website, while they have a process for issuing a VIN for a constructed 4 wheel vehicle, they don't have a process to do so for two wheel vehicles. Also, to get a VIN issued, the 4 wheel vehicle has to have a safety inspection; one of the requirements is DOT approved tires...

It's going to be a tough sell to get DOT approved bike tires. For one, a statistically significant number of the tires would have to be tested & documented to run at greater than highway speeds (90 mph?) for X thousand miles. There's a whole 'nother set of federal regulations involved... There would have to be a perceived market for DOT bicycle tires before any manufacturer is going to take the $$$ risk of
  • designing the tires
  • tooling up to build the tires
  • building probably a thousand prototypes
  • Testing the bejeebers out of the prototypes
  • feeding the test results back into the manufacturing process
  • Repeat steps c, d, & e until the bugs are worked out
  • manufacturing another thousand tires or so for DOT testing
  • Going through the DOT testing & documentation gauntlet
  • wait for the DOT to approve the tires. (DOT: "A bicycle at 80 miles per hour? We can't approve THAT!")

Last edited:
just put

A set of Trainning Wheels on it and walla it's a 4 wheeled vehical !!!!!

Back