Interesting exhaust pipe choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nano, unfortunately you are wrong. Letting your bike be loud enough for others to hear is a more immediate alert to them that a motorcycle is nearby and to look good before doing anything. I have "ringing of the ears" but I designed my silencer to not be too silent. I don't doubt that it has prevented many a car from swerving into me.
Wrong? I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken. True, it's a free country (where I live, anyway) but you're rights end where they impinge on mine. That's why most places have laws against excessive noise - and it's excessive noise I'm objecting to.

Last edited:
as a kid I subscribed to the loud pipes save lives hype but I've seen just as many people get hit with quiet stock exhausts as with loud aftermarket ones. these days I don't let my bikes exceed 85-90 or so decibels. my hearing is shot as is so I don't need straight piped harley kinds of noise all day.

85 is still loud enough that you can hear it if your windows aren't rolled up and your radio isn't cranked out, but honestly how many drivers go windows down with no radio?

Nano, unfortunately you are wrong. Letting your bike be loud enough for others to hear is a more immediate alert to them that a motorcycle is nearby and to look good before doing anything. I have "ringing of the ears" but I designed my silencer to not be too silent. I don't doubt that it has prevented many a car from swerving into me.

I concur through experience. A woman at a stop sign that at first didn't see me then she heard me and stopped her roll through. It was close though.

The main difference between a 2-stroke and 4-stroke is a 2-stroke has no valves.
A 4-stroke just wants the exhaust to flow easily out, not true on a 2-stoke, they love some timed back-pressure to shove the wasted raw fuel back into the cylinder.
Just follow the green gas-air mix in this animation with an expansion chamber.

expansion_chamber.gif

Running an open free flow exhaust on a 2-stroke is not only just throwing power away, all that raw fuel in your pipe just makes for a mess wherever you park.
A stock pipe has some back pressure and better than nothing, but nothing like the performance boost a tuned exhaust will give you, and no raw fuel dripping out of the exhaust when you park ;-}

my bike has a pipe with belly stinger and stealth silencer and still it's loud enough for people to hear me and loud enough to leave my ears ringing after riding.
So imagine how loud a normal motocross pipe/silencer is. Expansion chambers and their silencers are basically racing pipes (motocross pipes)

I've heard that argument with motorcycles - that they need to be loud for their own safety and I call BS on that. You take certain risks if you ride a motorcycle or MB that does not give you the right to annoy the rest of the population with loud farting noises.
I agree 100%

my bike has a pipe with belly stinger and stealth silencer and still it's loud enough for people to hear me and loud enough to leave my ears ringing after riding.
I did a similar thing but it was far from stealth...

I put an automotive 'glass pack' at the end of an SBP X-chamber.

BadMojoPipe1024.jpg

I took the silver cover of the original muffler and shoved it into the extension...

carbPoryStinger.jpg

It didn't just quite to down some, it lowered the tone so it sounded more like a production 4-stroke motorcycle than a weed whipper, and dirt cheap too.
I rode up to my local muffler shop at lunch time a found a guy that would fix me up.

Sadly I tried that NuVinci fully automatic DEV kit wheel on it, hence the back box for the electronics and battery and computer controller on the handlebars.

KCbike2-17-2011.jpg

That 66cc tore the NuVinci a new one so I changed it out for a normal internal shifter, but man, it was sure a cool ride even if looks like a girls bike ;-}

Here is my solution to the mzpartsmiami pipe. It's the goldilocks version. Not to loud, not to quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back