Is the new engine I just bought dead?

you really need to find someone in your area to help you with these - your new one looks OK, and I'd even give your first one with the small scratches a try to see how it ran (might run fine with only a 2 or 3 mph loss)

these are dead-simple motors, but some amount of the 'aspect of the mechanic' is required

Did you mean someone with motorized bike experience or some general car/motorcycle mechanic?

I started learning about this stuff around 50 yrs, ago. Helping the old man work on his car, and reading every hot rod mag, and motors manual I could get my hands on. The forum will help. There is nothing like hands on experience. If you have someone who knows their s**t helping you you will learn faster. It is hard for us gear heads to wrap our brains around the fact that others have no concept of the workings of a engine. If you keep after it someday it will be equally hard for you. My old man would get cussing mad at my dumb ass, but I still caught on. Well sorta.

most car mechanics would need to get familiar with the idiosyncrasies of these - someone near to you that has built a few of these would be more help to you - many folks learn more quickly when they can watch someone that knows

most car mechanics would need to get familiar with the idiosyncrasies of these - someone near to you that has built a few of these would be more help to you - many folks learn more quickly when they can watch someone that knows

Motorized bikes is so niche in the UK I have no clue where to find someone in my area. I live in the city of Oxford where I doubt there is anyone at all

He's in another city and he's not my friend- just some random guy who bought it from another random guy

the rings are iron, not plastic. there is metal on metal friction. plastic rings would never survive in a combustion engine. plus, the bearings need to be lubricated or they'll wear out and grenade on you within a couple of minutes.

if you don't understand why an engine needs oil, then I would suggest not touching anything motorized until you do some reading on the subject.

I know the basics of a two stroke engine and how it works- was it not enough to know initially that oil was needed to lubricate whatever metal parts there were in the cylinder- why is it a huge deal that I didn't know that the bits in contact were the piston rings? I mean I googled the main stuff- never once did I read about piston rings anywhere.

Back