Its a shame mopeds never were a thing in the states.

I have been to Omaha before...lol...Many, many other cities as well, not only in this country but three others as well...lol.
I've been to every state except Hawaii, most of them multiple times. Alaska only once. Usually traveling for work, sometimes for fun, sometimes for stupid reasons like buying an old rare car and trying to drive it back home. That last one always turns out to be an adventure.

Wrench is right, mopeds gained a peak popularity in the late 70s early 80s during the oil embargos (when everyone had no fuel) ive had the pleasure of owning multiple bikes from every moped brand out there (Puch, Jawa, Tomos, Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki, italjet, garelli, motobecane, motoguzzi etc etc) there fun, but ive had a handful (out of the hundreds ive owned) that I would trust daily driving. They all require constant work and stuff wears out fast when you put miles on them (although Yamaha, Puch, Honda, and Suzuki are my top-tier brands for reliability, hell, even my Jawa was a killer daily lol)

there obtainable for a reasonable price, but i would expect to drop at least 500-800 if you want something daily drivable, me personally, id just get a honda express or a qt50 for daily drivability, had both, no issues, goes about 25-30mph, yamaha you can still get parts from a dealership to this day (same motor as a pw50 lol)

Heres some pics of the cooler ones ive had, (had a pair of original 1960s Honda P50s, the motor was in the wheel!)
00w0w_al13NMNfDKr_0ox0t2_600x450.jpg
01010_1VRb2zGZQ5r_0CI0qw_600x450.jpg
20210114_144843.jpg
20210114_145154.jpg
20210125_135105_HDR.jpg

Back