Just wondering if its doable - gas to run electric ?

Ibdennyak---

Denny,

Since this thread is a bit of a mixed bag. When you get ready to post again....how about starting a new thread.........and notifying all those who would have an interest in this thread where the new thread is.

Did you catch my last post to you about the Axial Flux Gen and Endless Sphere?

Brian

Denny,

Since this thread is a bit of a mixed bag. When you get ready to post again....how about starting a new thread.........and notifying all those who would have an interest in this thread where the new thread is.

Did you catch my last post to you about the Axial Flux Gen and Endless Sphere?

Brian

No, guess I missed that one. Odd, I've been on here quite a bit lately compared to in the *busy season*. I can do that.

Checked out your link to the axial flow motor. Interesting stuff. Doesn't look too hard to do. Could make a big one where the wheel IS the motor. :unsure:

Reminds me of the time I worked as a part time machinist at Burnside Magnetics in Milwaukee. He wound electromagnets and rewound specialty motors, and anything else that came along. His equipment was quite a bit more sophisticated, but did the same thing. Still remember when I was trying to solder the pigtails together, and not realizing that the wire was varnish coated, I spent hours trying to get it to work. Couldn't even get a stable continuity reading, just kept bouncing all over. He asked if I had cleaned the connections, and I said yup, and I had...they sparkled in their varnished glory. :rolleyes:

Heck of a time staying on line today. 36 degrees, windy, and pouring down rain. Already had two power outages. :mad:

Honeywell and Honda 1000w gens are too big to frame mount. I sketched it
in AutoCAD and confirmed it with the tape on my bike. The both measure roughly 18x15x9.5" and weigh 30lbs. Sorry.

i gotta chime in here for 2 reasons

I need a legal defense for an electric bike
since i live in a state where gas bikes up to 2hp
are ok but electric drive bikes are illegal (thanks segway lobbyist 08 for banning elec bikes and your monopoly please dont rent a segway in hawaii) btw Im in hawaii

so how bout a gas powered bike powering electric motors? haha
my defense the gas engine powers the magnetic thingys haha no
gas engine no go so technicly it is gas powered

ok so a no battery build to easy,
i got to point out something here

rack mounted generator ok same weight as batterys
no dc up down or all around stuff needed just get a good
ol 1000watt or 1500 watt ac motor! plug er right in and
through in a controller wallah no transformer or 2nd guessing
best of yet i have a 4 stroke 50cc friction drive bike and what
id like to know is how a generatro elec motor mpg would compare to
strictly all gas bike mpg btw theres tones of ac motors i worked
for a fan factory 10 years ago lots of ac motor options

Uncleargenius1: please post this in the laws and legislation section too.
It may prevent other islanders from having the same problem.

Electric bikes are allowed on the road by federal statute, but I guess Hawaii does not like to be pushed around by the feds.
I occasionally see generators made in the 1960s on EBay (Tiny Tiger, etc) that weigh less than 20 lbs.
You might add one of those, since the expensive honda gens weigh 30 lbs and the bargain gens weigh 40lbs or more.
The cheapest answer may be to mount a used weed eater motor on the rack and make it appear to drive the wheels with a roller. Just idle the 2 stroke engine while you are propelled by electricity, so that it sounds like a gas assisted bike.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Unclear, there are guys here from your state (5-7heaven for one) using gas power.
Kind of odd to me, isnt the segway an electric? Anyway, I am in the opposite kind of state where only electric is legal. Thus my experiments with gas / alternator e-bike.
If I was in your position I would NEVER consider electric. The gas 4 stroke kits are superior to any e-bike in my opinion. No batterys to deal with! Unlimited range! Getting range on an e-bike means super expensive batterys.
Sometimes I am over on Endless-sphere and a couple of grand is no big deal for them.
Now that I have done my best to de-inspire you, I hope you are not offended- I mean well.
Mike

Like Professor said........you already have the ideal situation. Unless you want to use what is basically an electric transmission, the practical thing is go with straight ICE system. Don't want to destroy your inventiveness, but so far it is more efficient, less expensive, lighter, etc etc. If you want to just try something....well then go for it. :D

LOL UnclearGenius. Has to be the first time that has ever been posed; "I need my MB to be louder ..."

It would be really cool to do, just for the sake of doing and seeing if it can be done. I have always wondered why there are diesel/electric trains? Has to be some advantage.

I was sure I posted this DIY link in this thread, but can't find it. Is a DC, car alt with a small gas engine. http://www.theepicenter.com/tow02077.html Could build this with junk yard parts just to experiment. (Would the current have to be inverted?)

Would be big, over complicated and have a good deal of power loss. LOL, can't wait to see it and try it my self! Post lots of pics UCG!

Just found this; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_locomotive

Last edited:
LOL UnclearGenius. Has to be the first time that has ever been posed; "I need my MB to be louder ..."

It would be really cool to do, just for the sake of doing and seeing if it can be done. I have always wondered why there are diesel/electric trains? Has to be some advantage.

I was sure I posted this DIY link in this thread, but can't find it. Is a DC, car alt with a small gas engine. http://www.theepicenter.com/tow02077.html Could build this with junk yard parts just to experiment. (Would the current have to be inverted?)

Would be big, over complicated and have a good deal of power loss. LOL, can't wait to see it and try it my self! Post lots of pics UCG!

Just found this; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_locomotive

In a diesel electric locomotive, the big reason for that set up is because a conventional gear and clutch transmission wouldn't be practical to get that much inertia moving. Hydraulic transmissions would be another solution, although cooling and pump and motor size and wear could be a problem. Actually, an electric transmission using a hubmotor would be a nice system because of the weight we are trying to move with a small amount of power. I tried a setup like this a couple years ago, but ended up using small batteries as *accumulators* to be effective. The problem I ran into was inefficiencies of converting the ICE power to electrical power to tractive force with the limitations of a 50cc engine output. I am still fooling around with various configurations (AC to AC with various regulators, varying AC voltage to an AC motor, DC using an alternator to drive a motor, and even a 3 phase generator to drive a hubmotor). They all work......kind of, but just using the engine and belts or chains works better......at this point. Oh well, something to keep me occupied for hours instead of watching TV I guess. :D

Very cool, thanks Denny.
As a kid, I had thought they could turn off the engines and run on batts like early subs for stealth and not annoying residents. (Back when my life's goal was to win the Pulitzer Surprise, snork)

Would make a great thread or winter contest, "Rube Goldberg Builds" :giggle:

Not meaning any ideas suggested here, would just be interesting and fun to see.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rube_Goldberg

Back