Just wondering if its doable - gas to run electric ?

Very cool, thanks Denny.
As a kid, I had thought they could turn off the engines and run on batts like early subs for stealth and not annoying residents. (Back when my life's goal was to win the Pulitzer Surprise, snork)

Would make a great thread or winter contest, "Rube Goldberg Builds" :giggle:

Not meaning any ideas suggested here, would just be interesting and fun to see.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rube_Goldberg

Too late....you ain't seen most of my contraptions. :devilish:

what has got me inspired to do this build is the cyclone 1500 watt and double 1500 watt kit if you you tube it you can see a 75mph run at first
i thought ebikes probly sucked but then i saw that 75mph run and was like wooow i have yet to see a gas bike do a 75mph run closest thing i saw was a 160cc 2 stroke bmx do maybe 50-60

I came across a 4 stroke 50cc 1000 watt generator that weighs 19 pounds
think it uses that 12 pound honda engine

yeah in hawaii segway rental business owners thought it would be a good idea to form a lobbying group to ban all electric verticle cycles one in front one in rear to create a safer sidewalk enviroment for segway renters
what do i see in all of this? a monopoly to stop ebike rentals if you lived in hawaii long enough its pretty easy to see big business runs everything here not the people or the government

i know federal law supercedes state law so the 750w doc looks like a defense to being charged with driving an illegal vehicle its all funny because you can go on a gas bike all day long but god forbid you ride one of those super dangerous highly illegal ebikes i gotta lafe at how different hawaii is
im going to the law section now to post all our crazy laws

unclear, I'd suggest you might want to investigate a bit further as regards "federal law supersedes state" as in most cases it in fact does not. The 750 watt rule is not effective in protecting against any more restrictive state motor vehicle code for the very simple reason that it is a Commerce dept regulation. Which governs allowable features of e-bikes sold in interstate commerce, but says nothing at all as regards usage on the highways and byways - that is an entirely state function.

what has got me inspired to do this build is the cyclone 1500 watt and double 1500 watt kit if you you tube it you can see a 75mph run at first
i thought ebikes probly sucked but then i saw that 75mph run and was like wooow i have yet to see a gas bike do a 75mph run closest thing i saw was a 160cc 2 stroke bmx do maybe 50-60

I came across a 4 stroke 50cc 1000 watt generator that weighs 19 pounds
think it uses that 12 pound honda engine

yeah in hawaii segway rental business owners thought it would be a good idea to form a lobbying group to ban all electric verticle cycles one in front one in rear to create a safer sidewalk enviroment for segway renters
what do i see in all of this? a monopoly to stop ebike rentals if you lived in hawaii long enough its pretty easy to see big business runs everything here not the people or the government

i know federal law supercedes state law so the 750w doc looks like a defense to being charged with driving an illegal vehicle its all funny because you can go on a gas bike all day long but god forbid you ride one of those super dangerous highly illegal ebikes i gotta lafe at how different hawaii is
im going to the law section now to post all our crazy laws

Guess I am somewhat puzzled by the Segway thing. How do they justify a Segway over a e bike from a safety point of view? I would have to question that just from a user friendly point of view. Probably 90% of the population has ridden a bike, but no one has ridden a Segway until they do it. I don't see outlawing Segways, but outlawing bikes...........geez, that's pushing it.

yeah tell me about it it was talked about for weeks on talk radio here in hawaii amongst other things like the superferry to protest how backwards hawaii can be and how big business monopolies where running things here apparently segways are not cycles but horizontally wheeled people movers i know it sounds stupid but segway has done whatever to improve rentals and truthfully id feel much safer on an ebike then a stupid funky looking segway not to mention segways take up all the sidewalk i should lobby to ban segways because they take up all the sidewalk and leave pedestrians no room haha sometimes i feel like going by the segway rental and playing dumb " hey do you guys have any electric bikes for rent?" no? "ah thats to bad I would have rented one whats that you have segways? ah no way i dont want to ride that funky thing how will i navigate slim sidewalks?" maybe if big business realized a lot rental sale theyd reverse the laws since we the people have no power anymore

If long range high speed cheap gas powered bikes are legal where you live why would you want a (lol) slow,short range,more expensive electric bike.

yeah thats what i first thought to when i think of ebike i think slow
well i cam across a kit from taiwan that uses twin 1500 watt dc motors
and goes 0-75mph in 30 seconds not a claim on there site but an actual
you tube video thats real not faked or edited show me a simple 75mph
gas bike engine setup and maybe ill change my mind till then im pursueing
a gas powered electric build only because ebikes are illegal in my state and gas bikes are not if i lived in another state id go all ellectric and still get 20 mile range on a lipeo4 48v battery pack thats pretty good considering going 75mph and powering twin 1500watt motors and being limited to a 20 mile radius is still ok because i found a charger that can recharge me in 15 minutes
thats if i lived in a ebike ok state i dont so for me its gas powered ebike setup a bit backwards but legal and 75mph twin 1500 watt motors
that sounds like to much fun not to try

see attached pics

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 272
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:
Unclear, would you feel safe at high speed on a bicycle? I wonder what range the bike you saw gets at 75 mph? a mile maybe? What did the system cost, by the way?

im not saying id go 75mph in traffic but on some country roads **** yeah
ofcoarse id have a super strong mountain bike for this kind of kit you ever watch any freeride mountain bikers go down what i would call a almost verticle cliff? i have i watched one guy crack his frame and get knocked unconcious at 95mph unassited no motors just all bike but he did hit a huge lump in the ground going 95mph and his suspension could take no more
but this was at 95mph and he hit a big lump not no lil pothole or even big pothole so what im sayin is id be willing to bet his bike could take standard
potholes at 75mph easy suspension matters alot at high speed i also did 60mph on a road bike before downhill that was scary no suspension but sure 75mph on a downhill bike with big fat 2.125 slicks yeah id do it daily on country roads range at that speed would be about 15-20 miles
with a 48v 10ah lifepo4 battery pack and at 75mph it doesnt take long to go 15 miles of coarse half throttle would get you more run time
youtube vid link here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Clw6xSjNa-c

o yeah systems pricy without battery its around 600usd with battery its 1200usd but batterys are lithium ion top teck batterys that can do 2000 recharge cycles not no cheap nimh or sla stuff here and if your into tech you know lithium ion is what they use in electric motorcycles and cars for lighter weight best power/performance and most recharge cycles

Last edited:
Denny, in AK..........Any progress on the Honda 25cc 4 stroke version??

Denny,

Wondering if you ever got things going with the Honda 25cc 4 stroke you had coming? Is the Gen unit you used an automotive generator?? (looks like one) You've had me in suspense, waiting to see the results, for about a year now..........:)>)

Brian in Austin.

Quoting IBDENNYAK:

"As you can see, this is a pretty simple and crude setup at the moment. Just a power hub mounted on the trailer, with 4 7 a/h batteries. Then there is a 31cc trimmer engine driving a 10 amp permanent magnet motor to recharge the batteries, and run a few accessories. (like the 55 watt halogen headlight I have yet to install) I run the engine up till the motor is putting out about 56-60 volts. As long as the biike is using power, it doesn't seem to bother the batteries. The whole generator setup weighs maybe 12-15 lbs. Also I have a dp/dt switch that kills the engine, and discnnects the generator for those instances when I want to glide soundlessly past some one. Flip the switch, and the generator restarts the motor after the situation is past.

I do have some improvements I want to make yet, like a 4 stroke honda for power,"

Back